Thursday, July 31, 2008

Moving out and waxing sentimental


The old house



And the new

I recently moved into a new place and I as I was cleaning my old house this evening I got to thinking just how many times I've moved and how many people I have had the pleasure to know as roommates. The list is lengthy and I am happy to say that I have enjoyed the vast majority of them. I also find myself taking a trip down memory lane of all the places I have lived. Please join me on my sentimental journey...

I first moved out when I was 19 and I moved in with my sister MaryAnn. It was a pretty good experience overall. Mostly what I remember from those days are the X-Files (Mare if you are reading...have you seen the new movie?). MaryAnn and I took our X-Files viewing very seriously. Maybe too seriously. I'm pretty sure there was an argument with a roommate who tried to interrupt the sacred hour of Mulder and Scully. So funny! Good times...

After my stay at the Elms I moved into the Glenwood apartments with a couple close friends from high school (a quick shout out to Nance and Jules). These were times not to be forgotten. I had one very crazy roommate who moved out because she and I didn't really get along. Looking back on that whole experience I realize I was not the most mature and I feel a little bad because I still laugh a little at the thought of her dancing in front of the TV while the rest of us were trying to watch a show. (I'm beginning to notice a trend about conflicts over television. Hmmm...). I also have very fond memories of a prank war between a group of guys in the complex. Turns out those friends became very significant as it lead to a couple of marriages (a shout out to Matt and Brent). I also think I may have gotten the worst grades during this time. Not surprising really. Living in the "hood" was definitely one of the highlights of all my BYU housing days.

I next moved out with my sister, Diana, to Stadium Terrace for a summer. My brother, Scott, also lived in the complex over the summer. I will always think of a few things when I think of this summer: the Popsicle diet, "I dig scrawny pale guys," sand volleyball, Whose line is it anyway, "It's a possibil," and maybe even Marky Mark and game nights on Sunday. This was a good summer...And living with Diana proved to be a good experience. So good that we kept it going at La Grande!

I probably lived the longest at La Grande and man did I go through the roommates there! I lived with gals with anger issues, drinking issues, cleanliness issues, and one just plain crazy. I also lived with a lot of fantastic individuals and truly made some life long friendships here. As I'm typing and thinking about this time in my life there really are too many good times to enumerate. My most embarrassing moment happened while living here...I served as Relief Society President in this ward...I had one really big crush...enjoyed many a good Karoake night at Jerry's, and so much more! One of my friends from La Grande recently proposed a reunion and now that I am thinking more about it, I am all for it.

After spending several, and I do mean several, years in divey BYU housing I moved on to bigger and better things and moved into a brand new apartment with my two best friends (a shout out to Trine and Sarah). It was fantastic. We felt like grown-ups because we had to actually furnish the place. These were some good but difficult years all at the same time. I entered a weird phase of my life where I was too old for the BYU scene but didn't quite fit in the new ward. But the roommates were fantastic and good times were had. I do remember some really good LOST parties and one really spectacular Harvest Party. We were cool girls...and our humor was way under-appreciated!

I then moved to Fort Collins...This was the first time I have EVER moved somewhere where I knew no one. It has been a growing experience for me and I have loved living with Rachael, Kathleen and Rachael's dog Asha. I have now moved in with Heather and her two kitties. You read it right...two cats. Those who knew me back in Utah realize just how crazy this is. But they are good so far and the hair issue hasn't been out of control.

All in all I have had 32 roommates and I have only forgotten the name of two of them. I also keep in touch with 13 of them. Does that seem like a lot of roommates?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our humor was underappreciated!! And let's be honest, our Harvest Parties were kick @$$!

jacob said...

I had to spend a moment and count. I've had 22 roommates in 10 apartments, not including Romania time. I've forgotten 4 of their names, and I keep in regular contact with about 6 of them.

Strupp Family said...

Wow--I envy your great memory. I think college was a great time. I miss it sometimes--and all the fun things to do with roommates. That's awesome you keep in touch with so many people! I'm sure I've had a lot of roommates--I don't know, let me think..it hurts my brain to try and think of all of them. There have been a lot. But I think I keep in contact with none of them--there was a little falling out with the ones I would have--because I decided to get married. I know, the nerve.

MaryAnn said...

I think that it does seem like a lot of roommates, but I have never counted how many I have had over the years - nor do I want to. I have not seen the new X-Files movie. Have you? Is it any good?

The Smiths said...

Sand! You always make me laugh! Man, I miss those Glenwood days! And is it wrong that I DON'T feel bad about the certain roommate dancing in front of the tv?? :)