Saturday, December 11, 2010

Don't Worry, Be Happy


So, this whole baby thing has been a rocky transition for me. I find that all the worst things about myself have been amplified with having a baby to care for and all the hormones that come with it. I have been kind of a roller coaster of anxiety, worry, stress, and "baby blues" but maybe a little stronger... It's been a rocky road.
But, I think I've turned the corner. It was difficult for me to really enjoy Isaac because I was so worried about every little thing. "Is he sleeping too little, is he eating enough, is he active enough, is he sleeping too much, why can't I get anything done," and on and on.

I know that am I naturally inclined to worry. And I know that I almost always have expectations about things and when I can't count on those expectations or things change too much, I struggle. Like I said, totally amplified by having a newborn. I have come to realize I can't have expectations. Babies are going to be different every day. I can't worry about every little change or I'll go crazy. Well, I'm probably a little too close to crazy all ready!

I know that is no epiphany for the majority of you out there, but trust that it was really hard for me to let go of the worry and the expectations. It's hard for me every day but I am getting better. And I am more able to enjoy the cuteness and fun personality developing in my son. And I'm thankful for that.

He is delightful! Here's the proof... (newest photos to oldest- except the first one, I guess I'm not that great at uploading in the right order and I'm definitely too lazy to change them around.)

These two were taken last night.


This is from last Sunday and the one below is from a week ago.



This was taken on Thanksgiving.

These two were from his blessing day. Jacob wore this sweater outfit when he was blessed. I added the pants and shoes.


This was from his first day at church.


10 comments:

Unknown said...

Those new baby hormones are killer. I had to go through this epiphany after each of our girls was born. Once just wasn't enough. It took some work but I was glad for pictures of the babies when they were young so I could look back on it fondly, even if it wasn't easy while I was in the middle of it. You're not alone! But it always felt really alone to me.

MaryAnn said...

Very cute pictures. He sure has changed a lot in the most recent pictures. They grow up so fast! Glad to hear you are doing better.

Emily said...

Sandy! I felt so many of those same thoughts/emotions/feelings after having Ansley. I'm glad to hear you're doing better. Aren't hormones (mostly) awful? Isaac is adorable and officially my new baby crush. :)

Barbara said...

So glad you're finding yourself able to relax a little and enjoy your little one. He is really a doll!!

Robinson Family said...

Such a cutie! Being a mom is hard work, and worrying about everything is normal. Just don't forget to enjoy this stage because they grow up way too fast. I sure wish I could still snuggle my kids like I used to be able to.

Mary Ann said...

Isaac is super duper cute! I love that he smiles already. Thanks for your honest post. I'm pretty sure I'll go through a similar transition. Good times.

Sarah and AJ said...

Love more pictures. I think that it's great that you are being honest with yourself. It is a hard transition, and it took me almost a year and a half with Walter to realize that I still didn't feel OK. Things do improve; I just think it happens much faster when you are aware and helping things along! I know you are an awesome mom!

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

He is quite a different looking little guy, but still cute as a button. I think the very top picture of him in the Thanksgiving outfit is the only one of him that resembles you, otherwise he definately looks like his dada. Look forward to seeing him soon. Take care, and thanks for taking the time to post.

Strupp Family said...

He's so handsome. I also love all the pictures. :)

Seriously, I thought I was going to go crazy with that first one. I worried about everything and cried all the time and was so moody, and REALLY tired. For me, though--I knew what to expect (or to expect everything to change, and never know what to expect...) and I wasn't as "moody." But that doesn't mean I didn't struggle not to cry at the slightest thing. Good times. But TOTALLY worth it. Good luck! Let me know if you ever need to talk. Even at 3 a.m.

Nicole said...

It is certainly a hard transition to make becoming a mommy. And on top of that, you worked full-time for a long time before Isaac came along and I hear that can be very hard to all of the sudden be done working. It will get better and it looks like it slowly but surely is. Thinking of you and hoping things continue to get a little better each day for you guys! Lots of love,
Nicole