Saturday, September 15, 2012

"What Do You Do All Day?"

Sometimes people ask me what I do all day.  I don't really care for this question and I especially don't like it when it comes from another "stay at home mom."  I don't like it because how do you describe the ins and outs of taking care of a toddler?  And how do you talk about it without making it sound way less important than it is?  Maybe I'm just not good at answering the question.  I don't know.

But...a couple of days ago I took some picture of Isaac playing and I absolutely love them because they show a little bit of "what I do all day."

This first picture I fully intended to be last, but for some reason I can't get it there.  So, before we get into some cute photos of Isaac playing in the backyard I'll tell you that we moved Isaac from his crib/toddler bed to a full twin bed.  And he couldn't be happier.  He has LOVED it.  I've never seen a kid more excited to go to sleep as he was that first night.  And then the squeal of delight the following night when we let him pick out new sheets for his "big boy bed."  Oh man, it was adorable.  He picked out construction sheets.  He loves all things construction.  He was upset when we laid him down on his bed on his back because he couldn't see the diggers.  We had to remind him that it was fine to turn on his side or stomach if he wanted to see the sheets better.  Awesome!


On to the playing.
In the same vein as the love of construction, he loves digging in the dirt.
 

And just look at those eye lashes!  I can't get enough of them.
 
 

And then he discovered a lady bug.  He was somewhat reluctant to touch it but I convinced him they were okay bugs to hold.
 
 

He also really liked picking the awesome 5 pronged carrot from our garden.  He even got to eat it for lunch.

We were thrilled later that afternoon when Daddy came home from work a little early.  I got to prepare dinner while these two enjoyed more play time in the leaves.  It's going to be a great Fall!
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Whether it is meant to or not, that question can seem to undermine the significance of what you do all day. So much of parenting when the kids are young is watching and observing them and seeing the world the way they see it and thinking about them and coming to understanding about you and them and the meaning of life... and stopping them from running into all the different ways they might die! :) It is labor-intensive, good work. I love that you took time to take photos of the moments that just rush by each day. Do you have the book Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site? I think it would be a great one for Isaac.

BRANDON AND NICOLE said...

Sandy! I adore your quilts-you're amazing! Can't believe your weather is cold enough for jackets-we're still hot and humid here. Also, your comments on the new big boy bed sheets and Cafe Rio were awesome. :)

BRANDON AND NICOLE said...

Sandy! I just tried to comment on your blog, but the "please prove you're not a robot" thing is getting so hard to read now! Anyway, love your big boy bed and Cafe Rio comments, and your newest quilt-you are amazing! Hey, a fun book recommendation: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. It's hilarious.

Strupp Family said...

I also am not a fan of this question and for some reason I feel very defensive--like they think I'm being lazy or something. And it's even worse when they questions my answer: I clean and cook and run errands and do laundry and pick up kids. And they say: And that takes up the whole day? YES, yes it does. Now leave me alone :) And they also say things like: You do that every day? I mean, how many times can you clean your house? A lot. When you have kids, things get messy. Now leave me alone, I have some cleaning to do :)

Ah, I'm on one. I love your blog and I love seeing Isaac and his beautiful eyelashes, too. He's such a cute kid!! Keep up the good work on the adorable children making. Can't wait to see the next one!! Btw, you're ridiculously great looking when you're pregnant. But I think I may have mentioned that before. It's still true. And I'm still jealous.

Mary Ann said...

Fortunately, I don't get that question too often. And fortunately, Scott has helped me let go of my own need to "get things done" and instead focus on what a privilege and a joy it is to be with Hannah all day. Love the pics. What a cute, adventurous boy!

Emily said...

Oh those are awesome eyelashes!!! :) What a cutie! Glad he likes his big bed too. Also, I'm not the biggest fan of that question either but should copy you and take a picture every hour like you did on your road trip/this post. :)

Robinson Family said...

He's adorable, and rest assured your work is the most important work in the world, which is evidenced by how happy he is!!

Jason&Shannon said...

Will you not write posts like this anymore? (Not serious), but it does make me a little sad to not be closer to see that boy playing in the leaves and with the lady bugs. I love how much he loves his sheets. I guess I need to call and see if he will talk to me on the phone...for that is all I get right now. I guess I must be homesick tonight as I felt the same way reading Mary Ann's post of Hannah and Diana's of Brinton.

Janel said...

Your boy is too cute! And I know what you mean about answering that question. I have friends who have chosen to work part-time away from the home because they just don't know what they'd do all day... Well, duh, I think-- you get to interact with this wonderful amazing person who also just so happens to be your child... I know that you are doing amazing things and are a creative, fun mom. It is so fun seeing the photos you post.

Sarah and AJ said...

These are great pictures!

I don't mind that question so much. I just reply something about poop that makes them uncomfortable. My huge pet peeve is when I am at the doctor or something and they ask if I work. That drives me nuts. Like, I'm surrounded by little kids; I'm working all the time. I just don't get paid monetarily. I have yet to come up with an un-crabby response.