Sunday, March 7, 2010

"Brilliant in the Basics"

For the past week I've been thinking a lot about this quote from Sister Beck. It comes from a broadcast/training for CES educators and her talk is called "Teaching the Doctrine of the Family."

Live in your home so that you’re brilliant in the
basics, so that you’re intentional about your
roles and responsibilities in the family. You
think in terms of precision, not perfection.

I liked the "brilliant in the basics" part so much I made it into a tavern sign or whatever for my dining room.


I guess I just like the idea of being precise about all the little things that are so basic to sustaining a family and personal testimony. Our Stake President has a list of 7 things that are essential for families to protect from Satan's attacks. These 7 things are repeated so often, but again are those basic elements to maintaining family and personal testimony.

1. Personal prayer
2. Family prayer
3. Personal scripture study
4. Family scripture study
5. Attend all 3 church meetings weekly
6. Weekly family home evening
7. Monthly temple attendance

I suppose doing these "basic" things actually becomes a lot more complicated when trying to manage busy schedules but I have been grateful for the reminder to strive for brilliancy in living the basics of the Gospel. And I'm so grateful to have a husband who also desires to be precise, though we may not always be perfect, in having FHE, scripture study and prayer together. Yes, sometimes or FHE turns into less than the perfect lesson and activity, but at least we are consistent. Yes, sometimes we only read one or two verses of scripture together before crashing into bed, but we haven't missed a night since being married. I'm also fully aware of all the areas that I can improve, areas that are currently less precise. And I'm grateful for my desire to make changes.

Here's hoping the reminder in my dining room will continue to motivate consistency in the basics for many years to come.

9 comments:

Janet said...

Just think of the changes we'd see in the world if everyone just did the basics. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Lynda/Mom said...

You two have lofty goals--I'm sure they will serve you well!!

Sarah and AJ said...

Hey, love the sign, and especially the thought behind it. You say you made it- Any info on that? I'm really curious as it is so cute I am feeling maybe motivated to do one as well!

Kelli said...

So simple, yet so difficult sometimes. But I bet if we all tried to get back to the basics instead of fretting over being "perfect" in other things we'd wouldn't feel so overwhelmed!

Emily said...

fantastic sign! thanks for sharing. :)

Robinson Family said...

Thanks for sharing the quote. I love it too, and you're off to a great start in your marraige and family. Keep it up!

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

I don't recall that quote, but like it also. Nice jem. Your thoughts on the matter are good too, you sure you don't want to write my talk?

MaryAnn said...

Thanks for your thoughts - I need to be better about being brilliant in the basics. Why do we always struggle with the simple things?

Mallory said...

I've been trying to do this as well. Ever since Pres McClure said that, I've felt that if I can just strive to be perfect in those things, then everything else will fall into place.

My good friend reminded me the other day that if we put spiritual matters first, everything else will be okay, and not to worry about the little nuances of life, but just focus on the gospel.

Thank you for this. It reminded me of what I'm trying to do.