Friday, June 18, 2010

Some things are out of my control

I've been gaining weight. And for once in my life that is probably a good thing. I mean, I'm pregnant after all.

And I realize that the weight gain is natural but it is most unfortunate that I can't control where I gain the weight.

I had an experience yesterday that made me laugh...mostly.

I have a co-worker who I adore. She hadn't seen me in a few weeks but we met up for lunch yesterday. She has been commenting throughout my pregnancy that I don't look at all pregnant. So, I asked her if I was looking pregnant yet. She said that maybe I was finally starting to show a little. She then proceeded to touch my stomach at the place I'm sure she thought was the baby and said something directed to the little guy. I had to let her know she was directing her comments NOT to the baby boy but the bonus roll of fat right above the baby bump. Awesome!

And just to be clear, here's a picture to demonstrate. (Though I can't believe I'm posting this! I look really not good.)



I am also sporting bonus pounds in other less than desirable places, like my hips and thighs. In fact, I'm pretty certain the smallest part about me these days is where the baby is actually located.

Good times!

PS...I swore I wouldn't turn this blog into a pregnancy journal. But it's probably not the first time, or the last, that I will have to eat my words.

9 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Isn't your blog your journal? Do you keep another journal? Anyway - I can tell that you are showing some and I think you look cute. Don't worry, my hips/thighs/butt always grow like crazy when I am pregnant. Did I tell you about the time when a co-worker of mine was walking behind me and said something along the lines of "Boy, you sure have gained a lot of weight with this pregnancy, haven't you?" Yeah - my butt was big.

Strupp Family said...

I think you look incredible. I gained so much weight with each baby that my face was pregnant, so I think you're doing great. That baby just pushes up all the fat that was evenly distributed before--it's not new fat. At least that's what I told myself.

Keep it up with the pregnancy journal. I love hearing about it.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

I am fine, in fact happy, to see some pregnancy pictures. I was wondering if I would need to come out early and hope to be there when Sam comes to see you pregnant. You have the Carter Pregnancy genes, no cut little basketball and everywhere else stays super thin....not in the genetic code. Oh well, we do get some cute babies from that same genetic pool.

Nicole said...

Oh my goodness Sandy! You make me laugh! We all have those moments when we are prego and get to that point of "I don't look pregnant, just fat" stage. I remember people saying that I was showing, when really, it was just soft fat on my belly. I actually had someone tell me that I didn't look pregnant and if she didn't know I was, she would just have thought I was getting chubby. Gee thanks so much(Seth's aunt). It's funny, but at the same time, not so much. Ain't pregnancy grand? Yes...and no. :D

I don't mind reading pregnancy related blog posts, so feel free!

Mary Ann said...

Super cute that you're starting to show! And super awkward/funny about your co-worker. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with plenty of bumps in undesirable places.

Sarah and AJ said...

Ha! I'm at the "looking like I need to hit the gym" stage, and whenever anyone says I don't look pregnant, I think, "This is NOT what I looked like before!"

Thanks for the update.

Leslie said...

Being pregnant is a big deal. You should feel free to document it. And I look about as pregnant as you, and I'm not pregnant. Nor have I been for a while. After having kids my gut has defaulted to looking about three months pregnant.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

I know you weren't fishing for everyone to tell you you look great, but the truth is, you do! Just beautiful, Sandy.

And please do write about the pregnancy! It's an integral part of your life, and if you feel like sharing, I think that is a good thing. A good way to process this time of life that, for me, was definitely about letting go of trying to have so much control.

Lynda/Mom said...

Just keep us posted about whatever--I'm not picky. Glad you are doing well and passing the halfway mark, which, as everyone will tell you, isn't really halfway. Aunt Lynda