Thursday, November 22, 2012

22 Days of Gratitude

Happy Thanksgiving!

We kept ours pretty low key.  Isaac got sick yesterday and was throwing up and running a fever so we canceled our original plans to have Thanksgiving with some friends in the ward.  Thankfully he was better this morning and everyone seems to be healthy, fingers crossed that Jacob and I don't catch whatever it was.

So we spent the day together, just the three of us.  And, also thankfully, baby didn't decide to arrive today to make it the four of us.  He is now officially welcome to come any time now.  I'm rooting for Saturday or Sunday but think it will probably be a bit longer than that.  I am ready to be done with pregnancy though.


(I used my timer and tripod for the first time...I thought we needed to document our first solo Thanksgiving)

We threw a turkey breast roast in the crock pot this morning as a last minute option since our friends were cooking the turkey in the original plans.  Turned out great.  Super moist and cooked from practically frozen to deliciously done fast.  We also had gravy, potatoes, stuffing, zucchini  and cranberries.  Since we didn't have rolls we settled for garlic bread toast.  And we also had a special beverage, cranberry juice and sprite.  All in all I think we did pretty well.

Later on we ate pumpkin pie.  It was delicious and I'm not even much of a pumpkin pie kinda gal.  Isaac called it "Thanksgiving pie."  Cute.

Don't you love how he is eagerly folding his arms for prayer so he can start eating?

Now Jacob and I are both so tired we are just hanging out.  I think he's planning his shopping strategy for the Black Friday madness and I'm blogging.  And I'm pretty sure I'll be heading to bed shortly.  I don't care that it's only 7 pm.  I am done.  Happy and Thankful for much, but tired too.

But, our 22 days of Gratitude wrapped up today and must be shared:

I saw something, probably on pinterest, where a family had a gratitude board for the month of November.  I decided to try something like that with our family this year but didn't want to be as crafty as the cute board I saw.  So I did something a little more practical and bought a cheap photo album and filled it with note cards.  We had one for each day up until Thanksgiving.

When we first began I was skeptical about how much Isaac would understand it.  Turns out he caught on pretty quick.  It helped to review some of the things we had done that day and to have Jacob and I say what we were thankful for first.  It has been really fun to hear Isaac ask for the "thank you book" and get excited to read over the things we have written.

So, for your reading pleasure, a list of daily thanks from a 2 year old boy.

1.  to color
2. costco, eat pizza
3. helping Daddy rake leaves
4. Nursery
5. Nursery time
6. Nursery time; first Sacrament time
7. couch
8. rake leaves w/daddy
9. Jesus
10. food and grocery store
11. family games (meaning we played candy land or chutes and ladders)
12. popping (meaning he was playing chase with Dad while he pushed the popper toy)
13. play toys, diggers, reading
14. for boy scouts too (Dad was grateful for scouting after attending our wards court of honor)
15. for corn
16. date night (I'm not sure if he loved spending time with the babysitter or what but I would bet he was copying his parents this evening)
17. Maxwell and Sarah and Riley and Kevin
18. home teachers and reading book (they brought him a new book and read it to him that night)
19. for park
20. Dad
21. family
22. to play toys

And there you have it.  I love it!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Jason&Shannon said...

That is a wonderful idea, I love reading through his thankful book too! Thanks for sharing.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

You look so beautiful, Sandy. Sounds like Thanksgiving dinner was really nice. And that list is priceless. So great!

Rhys came nine days after his due date. I guess babies aren't technically overdue until two weeks after the due date. So I had to bide my time a little more patiently than I wanted to. Not always fun when you're anticipating giving birth and trying to get yourself ready for it emotionally. So you are in my prayers. Love you and am praying for the best.

Emily said...

Love the family picture and Isaac's list! Hope your baby decides to come soon!

Mary Ann said...

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving. So fun to hear what Isaac is thankful for. :) We're praying that you have a safe delivery and a healthy baby!