Sunday, November 4, 2012

What Do You Do All Day- Part 2

Remember when I posted about hating the questions "what do you do all day?"

Well, the answer to that question lately would be this:


Isaac has loved his new birthday toys and will often play independently with them.  However, I gave him some dried pinto beans the other day to use as dirt or rubble to move around with his diggers.  I didn't want to leave him too much unattended in case he tried to eat them, or shove them up his nose, or any number of other things he might do.

Ever since that fateful afternoon, all he wants to do is "play beans."  And usually he wants an adult playing with him. So, this is what I generally do all day.

Load 'em up....and unload.
 

Jacob and I both laughed yesterday morning when we asked Isaac if he wanted to go downstairs for breakfast and he replied, "No, play beans!"

But mostly I really am grateful that my "job" is to play beans with my two year old.  I recently re-evaluated my priorities and came to the conclusion that all the house decorating and other ambitions I personally may have are not for me to do in this stage of life.  Surely there is room for some personal creative outlet, don't get me wrong.  But, my kids are only this young once and I want to be available to them now.  This little cutie won't always want me to "play beans" and painting the bathroom or putting up a board and baton treatment just doesn't seem as important anymore.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Jason&Shannon said...

What a creative way to use some beans. Cute, cute, cute.

Emily said...

Amen sister. :) Playing with beans is a great idea.

Janel said...

Thanks for sharing this. I think I really needed this reminder. I've had a few days of really wanting to get back into some of my old creative pursuits, but I realize that they just aren't happening right now. Henry is crawling all over the place, but he wants me right there exploring with him. He is making me look at everything differently, and that's what I need more than I need to finish a crochet project, etc... Also, Isaac is a cutie!

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Thanks for sharing this perspective. It is nice to let that stuff go for a while sometimes--very freeing. You know that playing beans is a pretty important thing right now.

The beans are great. Another thing we have done with success is to put old fashioned oats in a shallow box or container and let the trucks drive through it. Sort of like an indoor, edible, easier to clean up as long as it doesn't get wet sandbox.