Sunday, June 15, 2014

Such a Slacker!

Ben has been 18 months now for about 2 weeks.  And I still haven't taken his official photos or blogged about his cuteness at 18 months.

And I'm still not entirely ready to do the whole post.  I'm a little consumed with getting ready for our trip to Oregon.  I've been cleaning and list making and...well, mostly cleaning.   And now we are leaving soon and I'll be packing and doing a bunch of Relief Society stuff this week.  So poor Ben continues to be neglected.

But, I had to post about a couple of big things for our little Brunson boys.

We weren't in our ward last week so Ben didn't go to nursery then.  So, today was his first day.  I was so anxious.  I don't remember feeling that way with Isaac at all.  But, these boys are so different.  Isaac loved other people, still does.  Ben is completely opposite.  He is a mama's boy.  So clingy!  His separation anxiety is great.  He cries if I leave him with his dad.  The tears are short lived but they always come.  He cries when we leave him with babysitters.  He usually calms after 5 or 10 minutes though.  But, if I leave him somewhere other than home he is a wreck.  I get comments like "Well, he didn't cry the whole time."  Or "I never realized how many songs and books have the word mom in them.  He would cry for mama every time he heard the word mom."  Needless to say, I was worried about how he would react to nursery.  I went in with him to nursery a couple weeks ago during the Sunday school hour, you know, trying to slowly acclimate him. And then this morning before church I kept telling him how great it was that he was a big boy and got to go to nursery and play.  He remembered a ball he played with and seemed fine with that idea.  But as we progressed in talking about how we would leave him there he was getting nervous.  And then finally, as I was putting his shoes on, he started to tear up and say "no" when I would ask him if he was excited for nursery.  Poor thing.

Jacob thought it might go better if he dropped him off.  We went with that plan.  Jacob said when he tried to set Ben down on the ground Ben was lifting his legs off the ground and wrapping them around Jacob's legs.  He did not want to be dropped off.  He was crying for mama.  All the while I was sitting in Relief Society almost so anxious I couldn't concentrate.  I wanted to check on him but knew if he saw me all would be over. So, after RS I had a friend open the door to peak in.  She said he was doing great.  I focused a little better in Sunday school after that.

When we went to pick him up the nursery leaders said he did pretty well.  I think the comment was "I didn't have to hold him the whole time."

Hopefully he adjusts quickly.  Cute little bugger.  I did take some photos of him before church that I'll upload and add to this blog later.  Maybe even this week if you're lucky!





The second big milestone in our family was having Isaac sing with the primary in Sacrament meeting for the very first time.  It was adorable.  Isaac continues to be a bit of a handful in Sacrament meeting.  I kept reminding him that if he continued to be so noisy that we had to go to the lobby he would miss singing.  I kept saying after Sister Joyal was done it would be his turn to sing.  So when Sister Joyal finished her talk Isaac said in his not so quite voice "It's time to sing!"  He marched up right behind the Van Shaar kiddos and found a spot right at the front.  They were singing a medley of songs and I think he only really knew the "I'm so glad when Daddy comes home" song.  He sang that one loud and clear.  I could hear him for sure.  He was also really funny before the songs started and he was waving at us and saying "hi."  Again, in his not so quite voice.  Bless his heart.

I love these boys!  Loud, and clingy and all.



2 comments:

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Rhys was a little clingier than our other two when it came to nursery. But in less than two months he was okay with things and ready to be on his own in nursery. He's a champ now and even likes to show us what colors he chose for his coloring sheet and where his name is on his paper. They grow up steadily in so many little ways. But oh those teary faces are hard to leave or to try to forget when you're waiting to see if they'll calm down!

It can be hard to be the parent of the loud child in church, for sure! But I'm so glad to hear of this triumph for Isaac. His enthusiasm is what the Primary needs. So worthy of the love you obviously have for him!

Mary Ann said...

I have been a blog-reading slacker, and so I just caught up on the last 2 months of your posts. It's fun to hear and see what you all are up to. Isaac and Ben are looking so big and cute! Good luck with getting Ben adjusted to Nursery!