Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Ben at 18 Months


Oh Ben! I tell ya, 18 months is the time the switch flips if you ask me.  All the sudden sweet little babes turn into full blown toddlers.  Tantrums, independence, abilities, they all increase rapidly.  And for Ben, the switch has definitely flipped.  He can throw a really good, down on the floor, kicking, crying, tantrum.  Really good.  We experienced several of the worst I've seen from him on our trip to Oregon.  One was at church because I was done with him playing in the water fountain and getting himself all wet.  He hit the floor crying like crazy.  He didn't want to be picked up or talked to or anything.  I hauled him outside and tried to calm him down.  He was way too overtired.  Poor thing.  But, even at his well rested best, if he is mad he will let you know.


How can so much attitude be packed into such a cute, sweet looking boy?  I don't know.  His new favorite phrase is "No, me!"

He is also copying a lot more of what we say.  Sometimes it's really cute, like when it's his turn to pray for family prayers.  I also really love his favorite answer to questions (aside from no), "maybe."  But you have to know how he says it.  More like a really high pitched "may-me."  Cute.


He loves to be outside and especially if it means playing with Isaac.  He still loves playing with his brother.  He's starting to get a little more sassy with Isaac though.  He will pull back and take toys from him now too.  They have learned to properly bicker I guess.  His favorite outside thing to do is push the toy lawn mower around and say "mow mow."  Sometimes "Dada mow mow."  He also loves climbing on the swing set and will grab onto the upper post and swing his legs out over the rocks.  He is not to be trusted on the swing set alone...


I was blowing raspberries trying to get his attention for the picture above.  He started copying me instead.


And the picture above captures Ben's personality.  He walks around all the time with his tongue out to one side.  I think he liked exploring the new teeth in there.  He has finally gotten all the teeth he should have by this age.  He cut 4 or 5 at once and was a real trooper about it.  He slept pretty well still and was only mildly more cranky.


Ben still hates nursery.  Even though he is declaring his independence it is paired with a love for his mother. He does not want to be left with others.  And he will still run up to me and grab my legs and say "mama" until I pick him up.  Then he wants to be cuddled for a little while.  But, he wants to lay out the terms of the cuddle.  If I try to hold him wrong or reposition him to something more comfortable I often hear "no no no" followed by him removing my arms or hands from his body.  Kind of funny, I know, but also annoying at times, especially those wee hours of the night times.  (He's had few really rough nights in Oregon and a couple rough ones now that we are back.  I think he's still adjusting from all that fun of vacation.)


Ben learned how to climb out of his pack and play while we were on vacation.  The skill has also transferred to his crib.  This new development has also probably contributed to the increase of sleeping trouble.  But he sure thinks he's cool.  He especially likes climbing out in the morning and coming to our bedroom to greet us.  I actually prefer this to having him yell from his crib for us.  So maybe it's a win-win?


Ben is still a silly boy and loves to laugh.  He and his brother were making faces for our little photo shoot.  They were laughing and having so much fun.  That's a pretty good silly face for an 18 month old if you ask me!  He laughs when Isaac says "joke" or "knock knock."  It's pretty cute.

I sure do love this crazy boy.  He is sweet, loving, energetic, sassy, and pretty stinking adorable.  Glad he is part of our family.  He is good for all of us.


Brotherly love!


They both love this scooter from Jacob's childhood.  We spent much time pushing Ben on it and letting Isaac cruise.  Cuties!



3 comments:

Jason&Shannon said...

Cute pictures! Wish we could've stayed long enough for that little guy to be comfortable around us. I guess it will have to wait till next time we get together!

Jason&Shannon said...

Cute pictures of your cute little guys!

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

I agree that the pictures are so great! You are doing so well to keep up with your two young boys. I love how you say that Ben's particular self is good for all of you. So great when we can see that about our kids even in the midst of the hard work. We are being wimps about getting Rhys into his own bed, and part of that is because he's still fine going to sleep in his crib. But it will have to happen soon!