Thursday, January 8, 2009

"The Mormons"

I'm sitting here at work and remembering a funny story that I failed to share from a group I held the Monday before New Years Eve.

One of the group members was asking what she could do on New Years and stay sober. The majority of the comments stemmed around hanging out with friends that don't use. This client indicated she didn't have any friends that didn't use. She was wondering how and where to find those kinds of friends. One of the other group members offered her this suggestion..."You need to be friends with the Mormons. Seriously, find some Mormon friends. I'm not tempted to do anything when I'm around them."

It was fantastic. Of course, none of my clients know I am LDS, so I just sat there and listened all the while just laughing in my head.

Then, as I began thinking more about that, I realized how great it was. And really it was a good reminder for me that I need to be the kind of Mormon that those friends were to my client. A good, positive example.

4 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Yeah - everyone needs some good Mormon friends!

Megan Campbell Carter said...

I love it! Key word is "good." :)

Grammyzanne said...

Good story. How sad not to have friends that help you make good choices. Nice to know a reputation for making good choices is out there among those who need that influence.

Austin's Mommy said...

That's funny. It's nice to hear a positive about those darn Mormons for a change. :)