Friday, January 2, 2009

Ringing in 2009

So I had an interesting time celebrating the New Year. I wasn't able to take off enough time to be with my family over the holiday so I was back home. This is the first year I have not been with my family on New Years Eve and I did miss it. But not nearly as much as I expected I would. It was strange really. I thought I might be a little lonely and sad because I was really all alone. My roommate and good friends were in Costa Rica and Jacob was still home with his family. I debated about going to spend the holiday with Lilit and Aunt B, but after working 10 hours I didn't feel like any kind of drive. And I didn't feel like attending any of the parties happening with the single adults here. So I chose to stay home. Alone. And I quite liked it. Strange for me for sure.

I did make some of the Carter traditional snack food for dinner. Not nearly the spread they had, but I prepared what sounded the most good to me. Then I spent some time catching up on blog reading and watching a couple of movies. (I recommend Penelope. It was pretty cute.) And as midnight approached, I opened up a bottle of sparkling cider and began reading and writing in my journal.

So while it was certainly not the preferred way to ring in the New Year, I survived, and even enjoyed it a little.

I also found that I was more introspective than I would have been if I was with my family or at some party. The time to ponder the previous year and decide what changes I would like to make in 2009 was good for me. I think it's going to be a good year. I'm excited for what it may hold. I am also excited for attempting to achieve new goals. I'm not always that great about my resolutions, but I still think it's good to write some things down in the hopes that I will keep some things in my mind as I go through my day to day life.

But mostly I found myself full of gratitude for the good things that happened in 2008. I am grateful that I have a Father in Heaven who knows me and blesses me in ways I am certain I don't deserve, but ways that are perfect for me. His timing is perfect. And I am grateful for it. As 2009 begins I hope I can be a little better, a little more deserving of the blessings I receive, and draw a little closer to my Savior.

7 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

Very nice, Sandy. I can't think of a better way to spend the evening in your circumstance. We did nothing momentous, and just went to bed on schedule. Better to be reflective and sober. Aunt Lynda

MaryAnn said...

Yeah, I went to bed early because I have a cold. I still need to spend some time making and writing down some New Year's resolutions. Sounds like you had a good holiday, even though it was not what you had expected.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Glad you used the time well, and not just to feel sad. I like time to myself...especially as it is so rare.

Austin's Mommy said...

Good for you, Sandy. We just slept on the couch until 11:55. Then we watched the ball drop and went to bed. Mike wouldn't even kiss me 'cuz he had a cold. Now I have it anyway. :) Oh, well. I'm not in to staying up late and that was probably the closest I've come in years. Happy New Year!

Barbara said...

Glad to hear what you did. It would have been fun to have you join us, but I also understand your not wanting to drive after working long hours. Happy New Year!!!!

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

There's something so great about new years and chances to start again. Sounds like you were able to soak that up a bit. Thanks for sharing it, too, after the fact. It's so great to be able to share your life a bit through the blog.

Dennis Carter said...

Sounds pretty boring! I assume you stayed up, but you're almost as bad as I was this year. I'm old what's your excuse? By the way Matt was fine. He and Josh both took a number of spills trying to "surf" on that squirrely sled. That just happened to be the best shot.