Saturday, July 25, 2009

Honeymoon: Day 8

Saturday, July 4, 2009---INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!!

Let me begin by stating that I LOVE the 4th of July! It is one of my favorite holidays, second only to Christmas to be honest. I love the fireworks, the colors, the flags, and the feeling of the day. I can't get enough of it really.

But I must also confess that I have NEVER spent a 4th of July away from Utah county. I woke up that morning feeling a little out of sorts. It wasn't really feeling like the 4th despite wearing my "everyone loves an American girl" shirt. Jacob and I headed over to his parents' house where we were shuttled to the parade route for the Hillsboro parade. His dad had saved a spot in the nice shade. My parents also joined us for the festivities. I was feeling a little melancholy and then I heard the sirens from the police motorcycles indicating the start of the parade and suddenly everything was right with the world. This wasn't quite like the Provo parade but I must admit it was really enjoyable. I guess this parade has been termed the "pinata parade" because of all the candy tossed to the crowd, well the kids more like. When I heard that I was determined to get candy even if I wasn't a "kid." And don't you worry, my dad also followed suit. He was begging for candy as much as the rest of us...and the kids across the way. We ended up with SO much candy!!!! YUMMY. Good times.
This parade entry was the mother load. So much good stuff...candy, cookies, jerky.

We then went back to the Brunson's for lunch...more burgers and pork and pie! After all were fed and happy, my parents left to explore the coast and I fell asleep on the couch while Jacob helped his dad clean up the back yard from the night before. So lazy of me!

Jacob and I had to make good on the challenge extended by his mother so we both played her in a game or two of Pente...we all won some. I lost some too. His mom introduced me to the game last time I was in Oregon and I have been hooked ever since. I think she was excited to see if she really was the best Brunson Pente player. Turns out, we can all hold our own.

We then packed up all our stuff to head for our 5 star hotel in Portland. I learned something about 5 star hotels. Yes, they are a bit fancy, but the people that stay there are snotty. Just checking in Jacob and I heard two people complaining about the lack of coffee pots in the room (even the motel 6 has pots in the rooms) and the lack of slippers ("oh, another thing. I noticed I don't have slippers in my room. Is that a problem?"). It was pretty funny.

We relaxed for a bit in the room before heading to Pizza Schmizza for a slice or two. We were there towards closing so our options were limited but delicious just the same. When Diana was serving her Mission in Oregon she took a picture of the Pizza Schmizza and sent it to me because she and I used to always say things like "Enrichment Schmimrinchment." So I was pretty pleased to be eating there. Jake and I finished our pizza and then made our way down to the river to watch the fireworks.

And that was my favorite part of the whole day. Watching fireworks with my husband. Best ever!


Happy 4th of July!!!


1 comment:

Lynda/Mom said...

I think your 4th stacks up pretty well next to mine. It looks like lots of fun. Aunt Lynda