Friday, May 27, 2011

7 Months

The other night Jacob and I were talking about Isaac and he mentioned wanting to freeze time at this age for just a little longer. And I totally agree. And then yesterday my mom mentioned that Isaac was on the downward slope to a year old now. And again, I wanted to freeze time. I just can't believe how fast he is changing and growing.

So, in honor of his 7 months I give you the top 7 list of things about Isaac (both good and bad):

7- Isaac still doesn't sleep through the night. He has nights that are better (waking only once or twice) and nights (like last night) where he is up every three hours. Granted, he is teething. But I would really like to see 8 consecutive hours of sleep. On the plus side of these night wakings, he is way more cuddly and I get to snuggle my otherwise very active baby.

6- Isaac has 3 teeth and is working on the 4th. He recently acquired his top left tooth and is working on the right. And within 8 hours of the tooth cutting through the gums Isaac learned how to grind his lower and upper tooth together. He does it all the time. It's both cute and disturbing all at the same time.

5- Isaac loves to eat! He likes everything we give him and I'm sure would love to have all the regular food we eat too. He also loves to drink out of cups (with some assistance of course). He is eating the pureed baby food. How do I know he's ready for cheerios or other finger foods?

4- Isaac has become proficient at rolling. He has masted the roll-to-whatever-I-want skill. Needless to say, I am getting way less done when he is awake. I have to constantly watch him. He's already had some injuries from rolling into things he shouldn't. And he is fascinated by the fireplace which happens to have a raised hearth with very sharp edges and corners. TROUBLE! And he is so stinkin' fast. He can cover the area of our living room in seconds. I am in for it when he actually crawls and walks. He is going to keep me on my toes for sure.

Which leads to 3- Isaac is as close as you can be to crawling without actually doing it. He can get up on all fours, sometimes toes, and rocks back and forth. He also tries to figure out the movements but isn't quit there yet. He'll move his feet without moving his hands and faceplant into the carpet. It is very fun to watch.

2- Isaac is a talker. He loves to make noises and especially "raspberries" or spitting noises. (Less fun while feeding him...) He mostly says "bwaaa bwaaa bwaaa" but can also do "ma ma ma." I'm trying to get him to mimic "da da da" but he mostly just looks at me. He also is starting to do little high pitched squeals that border on screams. Mostly cute but I can see the potential for annoyance. I especially love when he is in his crib going to sleep or having just woken and I can hear the chatter. I love that he mostly wakes happy and sometimes falls asleep talking instead of crying.

1- The number one thing about Isaac is his smile and laugh. He is such a happy baby. People compliment and comment all the time about how good he is and how smiley he is. And I think he knows a little bit how to work it too. He flashes smiles at any stranger who talks to him. It's pretty adorable.

I certainly am loving this stage of babyhood and hope I am enjoying and appreciating it enough while I am able. I am grateful and lucky to be Isaac's mom!

2 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Finger foods - you can start them any time. What I usually do is put a few cheerios on the high chair tray and see what happens. Usually it takes them a while to pick them up and then successfully get one to their mouth. If they don't gag or immediately spit it out, you can probably start finger foods. And, again, he is adorable. I love older babies. 6 months - 2 years is probably the time when I enjoy my babies the most. Have fun!

Emily said...

What a fun little boy! I wish I could freeze time too but it does keep getting more fun, especially when he starts talking and telling you funny things all day long. :) Also, hopefully sleep will return too. Love that grin of his. I agree with Mary Ann- he's probably ready for finger foods. We started Ansley on Gerber puffs b/c they dissolve (and they taste a lot better than Cheerios!). The actual Gerber puffs are easier to grab than the Walmart odd shapes.