Friday, May 20, 2011

A Quick Trip to Utah

My little family and I made our second road trip as a family of three. I was somewhat nervous about how Isaac would do since the last time we went to Utah he was only two months old. Now he is a big 6.5 months and that, my friends, is a big difference. But, he traveled fabulously. In fact I am more encouraged about our future travels having this little trip under our belt. Isaac even slept pretty well at my parent's house. Especially considering he is teething again.

We mostly went to Utah so I could check out the International Quilt Market. It is a trade show for quilting shops to come choose what they will carry in their stores. My mother-in-law designs patterns (check her out here) so she was able to get me a badge. It was really fun to see all the pattern and fabric booths. The sheer number of booths was impressive. They filled the Salt Palace Convention Center. It took me two hours just to walk the isles. I didn't stop much, just walked and looked. I can't imagine the time it would take if you were a shop looking to place orders. Crazy! I didn't take too many pictures because I wasn't sure if I could. But I did snap a few.

We also enjoyed time with my family. But again, the pictures are sparse. I only took a few of Isaac with his cute cousin Hannah. It was fun showing Isaac off. He has changed a lot since my family has seen him. He took some time warming up and then he was all smiles. He was fine to be held by others (unless he was hungry or tired, of course).

We also enjoyed some time with Jacob's mom. Not a lot of time, but some. We went out to dinner after market on Saturday. Again, I didn't get pictures. Isaac was exhausted from Jacob taking him around Temple Square and Isaac not napping so much. So I mostly spent dinner trying to wrangle a tired, hungry baby.

Jacob has an Uncle and family in Taylorsville that he has been wanting me to meet. So Sunday afternoon we went for lunch. It was so fun to meet them. His cousin's kids are adorable. And they thought Isaac was the coolest thing ever. It was funny to watch all the little kids huddled around Isaac and laughing at him, and gushing "he's soooo cute." Isaac was also lucky enough to taste his first cheezit. One of Jacob's cousin's kids was kind enough to share with Isaac. Isaac was not happy when Jacob fished it out of his mouth. I'm pretty sure he thinks he's ready for that kind of food though I am certain he is not.

On the way home we got stopped just 10 minutes outside of Fort Collins. We were held up for about an hour due to an accident between a truck hauling molasses and another vehicle. Apparently there was a lot of molasses on the highway that had to be cleared before we could move on. The corny jokes were in abundance. "Getting home was slow as molasses..." "We got caught in a sticky situation..." Ha, ha, ha!

Upon arriving home I told Jacob it is probably a good thing when I am equally happy to be back home as I was to be visiting my family. I think Fort Collins is starting to feel more like home than visiting my childhood home. But, there is still nothing like seeing the Utah mountains as you approach Orem.

Thanks to my parents for having us! And thanks to Jacob's mom for the pass into quilt market!

Photos will follow in separate posts...I'm uploading straight from picassa and I can't figure out how to combine it all into one so...deal with it I guess.

3 comments:

MaryAnn said...

I'm glad to hear Isaac traveled well. Wish I could have been in Utah last weekend to see you. Maybe we can coordinate a trip to Utah this summer.

Barbara said...

It was great to see you, and your pictures are precious.

Emily said...

I'm glad Isaac traveled well too! That's so cool you went to the quilt festival!!