Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Father's Day and Then Some

We had a good Father's Day around these parts.  At least I think it was a success.  You'll have to ask Jacob if he agrees.

For Jacob's gift I made matching ties.  Well, sort of made is probably more accurate.  I bought two men's ties that matched and then sized one down for Isaac using my mother-in-laws pattern.  It turned out pretty cute.  The only problem I had was that I couldn't get Isaac's tie tight enough around the neck but still able to go over his head using an elastic neckline.  Maybe I need to take it apart and do some velcro instead.  I just didn't want him to be able to take it off and play with it.

Anyway, the ties got a few compliments at church and I think they both looked quite handsome in their Sunday finest.

 



We also had some good food for Father's day.  Celebrations are all about the food, aren't they?  I made bacon and egg sandwiches for breakfast, a homemade pizza imitating one of our favorite pizzas from a local restaurant for dinner, and lemon bars for dessert.

Sarah and Kevin and their two kiddos came over to share some homemade donuts with us later that night as well.  Needless to say, we had way more good eats than we needed.

And in other news, I think Isaac has started exploring the "terrible twos" a little early.  Maybe I feel that way because I am limited in my ability to pick him up and I feel like he knows it.  He is certainly testing limits regardless.

He loves pulling out the air vents from the floor.  He went through a phase  of this earlier and I thought it had passed.  Apparently it's back with a vengeance.  I am constantly trying to put him in time out for pulling up the vents.  It's gotten so bad all I have to say is "uh oh" and he goes running off to the spot where I lately have tried having him sit for time outs.  You might think this is cute (and sometimes I do too) but he runs away saying "sit" because he knows he has done something wrong and if he just sits everything will be okay.  It's like he's trying to say "What? I'm not doing anything.  Why are you looking at me?"



I think the fascination of the air vents rekindled in our current wave of heat.  We have been running the air conditioner a lot lately (temperatures in the 100s) and every time it kicks on Isaac is either laying on the vents, sitting on them, or pulling them up.
 


He has also become very stubborn and independent of late.  His favorite words are "no" and "self" as in, I'll do it myself.  Since I've not been supposed to lift Isaac we abandoned our normal high chair for use of one that can sit on the floor.  It worked out all right for the first couple of days but then Isaac started throwing fits whenever I'd try to get him to sit in it and would insist on sitting on the floor instead.  Sometimes I don't fight it.  Stubborn little guy.
 
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Sounds like he and Emily are in the same stage. Emily finally decided she wants to exert some independence instead of having me do everything for her. Shocking, isn't it? Anyway, I hear "by self" all the time now. He sure is a cutie. I love the ties.

Jason&Shannon said...

Lucky for him he is so stinkin cute, I would give in to his stuborness also. I love the picture of him with is cup, makes his eyes show so blue. Cute ties too.

Mary Ann said...

Those ties look really good. I love the pic of Isaac and Jacob looking at each other. So cute! Hannah too is in a very stubborn, independent phase. She says "I do" all day. Good times. :)

Emily said...

Those ties are so cute! What a great idea to size down an existing tie!! I don't think I was fully prepared for what "testing the limits" entails. ha. He sure is cute. Ansley used to fake cry and put herself in time out. hahaha. Your food sounds really good too.

Sarah and AJ said...

Those ties are fantastic!

Megan Campbell Carter said...

So cute! I have a tutorial on pinterest for cute little boys ties you can make super easy. One of my friends has her little 2 year old wearing them all the time! Adorable....someday when Logan's ready.