Sunday, August 19, 2012

Kids Say the Best Things

I think we all know that kids are funny.  And Isaac is certainly no exception.  But it seems like he says a lot of his really funny things as he is getting ready for bed or falling asleep.

For instance:

I've been trying to work on Isaac politely asking for what he wants instead of tantrums.  It's not always successful but sometimes it is.  I generally try and figure out what the tantrum is all about and then tell him to say "Mom, may I have _____ please."  Tonight he wanted more time playing with a flashlight before bed.  I gave my usual phrase filling in the blank with "two more minutes with the flashlight."  He repeated it so we gave him a little more time.  As I was telling him his time was almost up he interrupted with a screamed "Mom" followed by "5 more minutes, flashlight, please."  This time I thanked him for asking politely but still told him no.  Jacob was laughing...a lot. Poor Isaac, obedient and still told no.

He missed a nap today so we could attend church.  Sometimes we are able to squeeze in an early one on Sundays but today it was not happening, try as Jacob and I might.  So, we put him to bed about an hour earlier than we normally do.  He was doing pretty well until we were tucking him in.  He started crying.  A lot.  After several times putting him back into bed and re-tucking he finally stopped crying.  As Jacob was shutting the bedroom door behind him he heard Isaac having this conversation:

"Make."  "Make muffins."  "Make blueberry muffins."

Random, right?  Well, to be fair he did help me make delicious blueberry muffins this morning.  But I'm still not sure why those were his final words of the day.  Maybe it was the highlight for him, I don't know.

But I do know this almost 2 year old makes us laugh every day.

And if you'd like to see him talking some Jacob took a video this morning and posted it on the family blog.  Check it out.  It's cute.  But I am totally biased.


2 comments:

MaryAnn said...

I did check out the video. It is pretty cute!

Mary Ann said...

Hannah and I watched the video together several times, per her request. The first time she was quite startled by Isaac's "baa" sound and started to cry a little. But the rest of the times she watched it, she found his exuberant "baa" quite funny. My favorite was his "neigh." Super cute!