Thursday, August 9, 2012

Worth Remembering

Being a mom of an almost 2 year old makes for some pretty memorable moments.  Today I want to share two.

As Isaac has gotten to be more independent he has gotten less snugly while reading stories.  It's sad to me.  But occasionally he chooses to sit in our laps.  And I might be slightly ashamed to admit it, but I choked up a little during story time tonight.  Isaac chose to read with Dad tonight but also wanted to read to sock monkey and lion.  So he snuggled up in Jacob's lap and read to his stuffed animals, letting them "make" all the animal sounds and actions that Isaac normally does to his stories.  It was quite possibly the cutest thing I've ever witnessed.

And then he just plain makes us laugh.

We've been slowly transitioning Isaac's room to be more toddler ready and to take some of the things from his room to use in the baby's room.  So, things started by transitioning his crib to the toddle bed.  We thought it might be easier to move from the toddler bed to the twin eventually rather than right from crib to twin.  We could be wrong.  I also bought a new book shelf with some fabric baskets to store his books and toys.  He's been in the toddler bed for two or three weeks now and is doing pretty well.  He gets out a few times but usually goes to sleep pretty easily still.  The first few days were tough though, as can be expected.  however, today I assembled the shelf and put all his toys and books in the new shelf.  He thought it was the coolest thing and did not want to stop playing to go to sleep for his nap.  And then tonight I put all his stuffed animals in his room.  So, after tucking him into bed we hear him crying.  Jacob and I go to check on him to find him out of his bed saying he hurt his nose.  Jacob told him to get back in bed and Isaac just started busting up laughing as he climbed in.  I then notice ALL the stuffed animals in his bed with him.  He has way too many animals to all be in the bed at once.  I told him he could have 3 and he did not like that.  But it was really funny to see all the animals there and hear him laughing, thinking he was the funniest thing ever.  Funny kid.

I just don't know how I'm going to get all those animals into his room with out this melt down.  I'm really tired of the stuffed animals being in rooms they don't belong.  This is actually the second time we've tried putting all the stuffed animals in his room.  The first time I tried putting them in a basket hung on his wall (like I saw on Pinterest) and it looked cute.  But he was still in his crib and was crying so much because they were all out of reach and he wanted to sleep with them all then too.  Maybe I should just let him.  But it really is A LOT of stuffed animals for one little crib sized mattress.  I'm still a little paranoid about suffocating I guess.

6 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Funny little boy. My kids love to sleep with things too. I go in after they are asleep and take everything off of their beds. Sometimes I am surprised there was any room for them on the bed because there are so many toys.

Jason&Shannon said...

Yes, sounds like the solution might be to remove after he is asleep, but of course, he might be too light of a sleeper still. Take a picture before you remove them so we can see him surrounded by this toys.

Mary Ann said...

Cute stories! I'm still paranoid about the suffocating thing too. I like MaryAnn's idea to take everything off the beds after her kids fall asleep.

Emily said...

Cute! I agree with Jason and Shannon. :) Ansley went through a phase of sleeping with everything (including fabric she picked out ha) but she's our old queen bed so it's not too much of a problem. A few weeks ago she set up an elaborate tea party for all of her stuffed animals and I'm super happy they're all still attending the tea party next to her bed, not in her bed. :)

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Sandy, it has been so fun to read through your posts. I love it when you have days that you are able to enjoy your children more and feel that great love for them swelling a little more and being more "delicious" to you. And your boys are so handsome. You're going to have another handsome one and they will all take care of their Sandy very well, I'm sure. Just like you take care of them. And I love the stuffed animal problem. We have had to work through that. Not sure what we did except kept suggesting that the kids choose a few of many and they followed along after a while. The animals have a way of sneaking back into the beds, though. I have to keep remembering that I was like that for so many years. I slept with all my animals until I was quite along in years. I'm glad the placenta has moved up. With Hugh mine stayed low until the week before I delivered. It had barely moved out of the way, but the doc said it was fine and I was able to have a safe vaginal delivery. No excessive bleeding or anything. Sounds like you're on your way to that end. Good news. Now you can worry about other things, right? :) Lots of love!

Sarah and AJ said...

I too would love to see a picture of this. I don't have any advice, but it sounds adorable.