Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Oldies But Goodies

I recently uploaded some pictures from a camera I don't use too often.  I found these cute photos of Ben from the very end of December.  It was about a week before going into the hospital with RSV and he was not yet a month old.  He looks so tiny!  I remember taking these photos because he was outgrowing this newborn outfit and it was the one he wore when he was brought home from the hospital.  I loved it.  Looking at these pictures now I recognize my older babe in this little babe's face, but my how he has also changed.  
 
 
 
 
 


And then there is this gem.  The brotherly relationship between Isaac and Ben has been tenuous.  It started out pretty good and then got a little rocky as Isaac began acting a little more physically aggressive with Ben.  He still sometimes does, but it's gotten much better.  It kind of comes and goes in waves.


This moment was somewhat of a turning point.  Isaac had really scratched Ben's head good, drew blood and all.  I think I was crying out of frustration and I know Ben was certainly crying.  I can't remember exactly how things transpired because it was in March, but I am fairly certain I put Isaac in his room for a good long while after I had tended to Ben.  I talked with Isaac about kindness and hurting his brother and how sad that made me and Ben, the usual sorts of conversations that I was certain didn't really stick.  And then Isaac actually saw Ben bleeding and something clicked.  He was suddenly so worried about Ben and wanted to apologize to him and make sure he had a bandaid. It had to be a digger bandaid too.  I took this picture later that day when Ben was napping because I thought it was both so sad and so cute.  I guess that is life, seldom cut and dry, usually a mixed bag of good and bad, some days more bad than good, some days more good than bad.  Anyway, for most of the time the scab was on Ben's forehead Isaac was really gentle and kind with him, sort of a constant reminder of how he had hurt his brother.  I sort of wished it would never heal so he could always have that reminder.  But, he still sometimes isn't the most gentle or kind with poor Ben.  If he survives his big brother it will be a miracle.  (That might be slightly overly dramatic.)

3 comments:

Janel said...

Hugs to you! I can imagine that there is a lot of re-balancing of things when a new little one comes along. And kids Isaac's age still don't fully understand the consequences of their actions. Good for you for sitting down with him and explaining things to him. I'm sure there will be yet many more repetitions of those sorts of talks, but you are making a difference. Motherhood is hard work! But motherhood also has amazing little moments and is full of blessings.

Jason&Shannon said...

Those are some cute pictures of that baby Ben! You sum up life so well. Those roses always have thorns..guess we just have to enjoy the roses and learn from the thorns. Hope Isaac learns to always be nice, but as Janel said, he is probably too young to expect that yet.


Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

It was a little loss of innocence for all around--not easy to deal with at the time. You have a good perspective on it all, but it's hard for sure. Good thing we have the capacity for resilience.

He does look adorable with his bandaid.