Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Week I Washed a Diaper

I washed a disposable diaper today.  It's just been one of those weeks, I guess.  This diaper was laundered as it came along with Isaac's bedding I was gathering to be washed because he had de-robed during "quiet time" and peed all over the place.  Books, bedding, and carpet.  It seems like no matter how hard I try I just have a very typical 2 year old.  He says  yells "no" to everything.  He breaks down in tantrums non-stop.  He makes messes and destroys things all day long.  I'm tired.

I don't know why I have such unrealistic expectations about what raising a family is all about but I really do.  I laugh at myself but at the same time trying to expect less is difficult for me.  I want the "perfect" family, gosh darn it!  But it seems in the struggle of adjusting my expectations I am missing the joy of these little cuties.  I'm getting more frustrated and angry and not being the kind of mother I want to be.  And then I get even more frustrated with myself and feel like I'm missing out on all the cute things about these stages.  It's a vicious cycle.

I'm working on it...And least you think I'm all depressed or whatever don't worry about me.  Sometimes I just really need to vent these frustrations and I think Jacob gets tired of hearing it.  So, tonight the blog gets it.

And to help me remember the good things, here are some adorable pictures.

These two boys do look like brothers in this picture.  Look at their facial expressions.  So funny to me.


These cute boys in their Sunday finest from a few weeks ago.  Such cuties!  I on the other hand had to wear a ponytail to Church because it seems as though no matter how early we wake up, I'm running late.  Ridiculous.

Last Saturday Ben got to sit at the table with his brother like a big boy.  He thought he was awesome.

This Ben is crazy.  He is seriously trying to move as much as he can.  And now he's almost sitting all by himself.  Such a big boy.

Aunt Rachel made this awesome onesie for Ben.  Anyone recognize what this is from?  Well, you'd have to know Dr. Who and you'd have to be a little bit of a sci-fi nerd like we are in this house.  Thanks Aunt Rachel, it's adorable!
 

And I just can't help loving these sorts of falling over pictures.  Love this stage.  So fun the amount of development in such a short time.

We gave Ben cereal this week.  He loved it.  But then he started getting a little fussy and we wondered if it might be upsetting his stomach a little.  So we have stopped the cereal for now.  He's still fussy so I suppose it wasn't the cereal after all.  He is sleeping in his own room at nights now and has mostly been good.  The past couple of nights he has been waking at 10 or midnight crying.  He's so sad.  And he's screaming again before naps.  Poor thing.  Don't know what's up with him but I hope it passes soon.
 
 
 
 

One morning Isaac wanted to help feed Ben.  It was adorable for the 5 seconds it lasted.  These pictures crack me up with Ben staring at the camera.
 
 

And then this morning these two just looked so old and cute today that I started taking pictures.  I was tyring to get a picture of Ben sitting by himself and then Isaac wanted to sit behind him and get in the photo shoot too.  He always does.

I quickly moved them the other direction so they weren't back lit.  I mean, if we are going to do a photo shoot lets do this thing right.
 
 
 



And some with Daddy.
 

And Mom too.
 
 
 

And finally, Isaac wears out and I get the sitting solo picture I set out to get in the first place.
Just look at that strong 5 month old!

And then Isaac was back.  He wanted a picture by himself too.  But he wouldn't set the peanuts down.  And he wouldn't make any normal faces.  Just check it out.
 
 
 
 
 

Silly and cute.  And totally exhausting!  Love my boys.

4 comments:

Jason&Shannon said...

Yup...you described a typical two year old perfectly. I love the picture of Ben sitting all by himself, but when did he get so big? Those are some cute little boys and love the photo shoot with all the pics.

MaryAnn said...

Love all the pictures. Your boys are growing up so fast. Can't wait to see you all this summer.

Mary Ann said...

Ben is suddenly looking so much bigger and older to me. And Isaac's faces are hilarious. Cute boys! Having a two-year-old and a baby sounds exhausting. Here's hoping Scott and I can survive it. :)

Emily said...

Love the pictures!! You're a great mom! I struggle wanting things to be perfect sometimes too, but that's okay. Some days we just take it hour by hour and I have to remind myself that even little kids have bad days.