Monday, May 12, 2014

Mother's Day

I had a really good Mother's Day yesterday, though I didn't take a single picture.  Oops.  Jacob did a great job at helping the kids make my day special.  They made me heart shaped cinnamon toast that was delicious.  They also made really cute cards with their hand prints.  Isaac even wrote it all himself.  Jacob showed him the letters and then Isaac would copy it.  He spelled out "I love you" and "this much."  It was really well done.  They also picked out some candy bars for me to attach to the cards.  Good job boys.  Good job dad!  I also didn't do any dishes all day, I don't think I changed a poopy diaper at all, and Jacob made me chicken coconut korma for dinner.  Yum!  We also got to spend an enjoyable evening with some friends in the ward, the Van Shaars and the Bills.  I am grateful for good family and good friends.

I guess after today I feel a little guilty they spoiled me so much.  I was not my best mothering self today.  I am blaming it on little sleep but I really made some pretty poor parental choices.  It was one of those days where you just really hope all the other good days out weigh the one bad one every now and then.

Isaac has been biting again for the past week.  It makes me so angry and sad when he hurts Ben and others.  I lost it today and I bit him back.  I guess I would have felt better about it if it was really a deliberate decision, but it wasn't.  It was out of anger and frustration.  I don't even think I talked about it well with him to send a clear message that he needs to know biting hurts.  It was just stupid.  I do hope it helps the situation and doesn't make it worse.  I guess it would serve me right if I had to try and undo some damage from poor parenting on my part, but I hope that's not the case.  Blah!

So, now let us talk about some of the adorable things these boys do.

Ben is just killing me with cuteness.  He is at the best age!  His language is developing so quickly and I love that.  My most recent favorite additions to his vocabulary are "ding dong," "oh bummer," and calling dogs "woof, woof, woof."  So cute.  He still is all about copying his older brother and he is even more of a dare devil than Isaac was at this age.  He has no fear of anything.  He thinks he's way more capable than he is.  His favorite game is to climb up on the arm of the couches and then fall onto the couch.  He doesn't really get a chance to play that game very often.  I put an end to it pretty quickly.  It scares me.

The other day we were walking home from the mail box.  Ben started heading up the driveway of our neighbor so I told him to turn around.  He stopped, turned a full circle, and kept trucking up the drive way.  He definitely understands everything, and is often obedient, even if it is literal.

He's also really cute with books and his blankets and bears.  He loves his night time routine.

He also loves his morning routine.  Jacob usually gets him out of bed and let's him walk into our room.  But, before he does that he usually grabs his books that are on the footstool in his room from the night before, shuts all doors, and then comes to our bedroom.  He likes to look at the books and snuggle on the bed for a few minutes before he's ready for his cup of milk and breakfast.  He is so funny about putting things in their proper place, like shutting the doors.  He really is just adorable.

Isaac.  Oh Isaac.  He is at a tougher age for me.  But, when I stop to really focus on all the good things about him there are so many!  His imagination is growing every day.  It's fun to see him play differently with his same toys.  And He is often good at including Ben in his play.  He has been cute about giving Ben hugs and kisses and Ben just laughs with delight to have positive attention from his big brother.

Isaac is so curious about all things and still asks a million questions.  He wants to know how everything works and the reasons for every decision I make.  We do a little "school" time occasionally that Isaac just eats up.  Last week we learned about spiders and ants, per his request.  I love reading to Isaac too.  He would want me to read to him all day if I had the time.

I also love Isaac's developing sense of humor.  He rather enjoys his knock-knock jokes and equally enjoys making up his own jokes.  They usually get a good laugh from Ben, if no one else.

Isaac would live outside if he could. I love that he is old enough that I can send him out on his own for little amounts of time at least.  He loves helping with the yard work too.  I think it's his favorite time of our Saturdays.

Most of all I love snuggling with Isaac.  He often wants to sit in my lap and have hugs.  I'll miss when those hugs are less appreciated.

The other day Ben and Isaac were playing outside with some hand me down digger toys we were recently gifted.  They were playing so well and having such fun.  I was sitting on the patio enjoying the sun but more than anything I was enjoying watching them play.  I had one of those experiences where you appreciate the beauty of the moment and at the same time are sad it won't last forever.  I know when these days are past I'm going to miss Isaac's constant digger noises in the background and Ben's still missing teeth grin.

2 comments:

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

You are doing so well, Sand!

It is so fun to see these little babies turn into little persons with all their little busyness, putting life in order and experimenting in their own ways. Amazing and makes you feel crazy, too. And then they start talking more clearly and it makes it all the more amazing and also bittersweet, as you say. It is also so hard when they have behaviors that hurt themselves and others. You just want them to cut it out for once and for all so that you and others can enjoy all those other wonderful things about them. But, alas... it takes time. So I will heave a big sigh with you as you move forward from the frustration. That takes time, too.

I'm glad you have a little reader in Isaac. We expect so much of our oldest kids, sometimes. (I mean, I only have one oldest, but I've noticed that about me, anyway.) One thing I've always loved about my kids is that they will sit down and read with me. So when their energy is too crazy for me, I know there is something we can do to bring it down for a little while. Makes for some semblance of peace and enlightenment in hectic or monotonous days.

MaryAnn said...

Oh the ups and downs of motherhood! Sounds like you had a good mother's day and are keeping a good perspective about it all!