Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas the Carter Way

I really should be going to bed. My flight came in really late last night and I was up early for work this morning and yet I am drawn to the blog updating.

I guess I just wanted to provide a quick report on my short trip home for Christmas. I would have to say that I have only three regrets (or downsides) about the whole thing.

1. I regret not having more time to spend in Utah. I was sad when I was saying goodbye to my nephew Matt and letting him know I wouldn't see him again for awhile and his response was "what about New Years?" And it's true. I have not been away from my family for any New Years. This year will be weird. And along these same lines of regret, I regret that the time I had with Jacob and my family was so short.

2. Delayed flights are most definitely a downside. Not that there is anything I could do about it, but it stunk just the same.

3. I regret not having time to see more of my friends.

I also have several highlights...

1. The famous, and formerly exclusive, Carter talent show.

2. Homemade Christmas gifts, including slippers.

3. Games, games, and more games!

4. Food, food, and more food!

And...here are some pictures. It turns out I didn't take all that many photos. So, if you are interested in more incriminating photos you should check out my dad's blog.





Lauren enjoyed cleaning the beaters after making divinity.

This picture is just funny to me. Very funny.



Megan and Lauren loved the snow. Josh, Matt and Megan made a snow man on Christmas day.


It was the year of homemade gifts...and Scott and Mary Ann made these lovely, and comfy slippers for me.








Don't mess with D.

And for those of you who may have asked for it, here is a photo of the picture I painted for John and Megan. I was pleased with it overall...but shortly after taking this pictures something about the painting started bugging me. So I took it out of the frame and painted a little more on it before taking it to Utah and giving it away. I liked it a little better, but something is still not right with it. I get like that with things I make. I find something I don't like, generally something no one else would notice, and then it's all I can see. And that is why I am being a little cryptic about what bugged me because if I point it out that is all you will notice too.

10 comments:

Strupp Family said...

I LOVE your painting! You're amazingly talented. Mr. Swallow would be so proud :) Wow, took me a minute to remember his name :) Anyway, I loved the Christmas pictures. Your house looks different and yet the same. So familiar. Sorry about your flights--have a happy new year :)

Emily said...

Wow I'm impressed with your painting! It looks great! I'm glad you were safe, despite the delays. Happy New Year!

MaryAnn said...

Cute pictures! I am sure you will find some way to fill your New Year's, but we will miss you here. Game playing is just not the same since you and Jacob left...

Lynda/Mom said...

I had no idea you were an artist! Very cute pictures. Sorry for you to have to get back to work, but at least now you have time to blog.

Harmony said...

Ha! We totally use the snow as a second refrigerator! Why pay to keep stuff cold when it's nice and icy outside :)

Dennis Carter said...

Your slippers prove how absorbing Christmas can be at the Carters! Can't believe you posted that picture.

Megan Campbell Carter said...

The picture is great....although now John is looking all over to find something out of place....it's going to bug him to eternity.

Austin's Mommy said...

Wow, great pics. I think the painting looks marvelous - if my opinion counts. :)

Grammyzanne said...

Sounds and looks like you had a great Christmas. It is always hard to leave family.

Wasn't aware you, paints and brushes got along so well. I do know what you mean about finding a perceived imperfection and it bugs you unmercifully. It's hard to truly believe the rest of the world doesn't see it.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Thanks for the pictures of the homemade gifts. Wish I could've been around when they were opened, but alas I am stuck in Alabama.