Wednesday, March 18, 2009

St Patrick's Day Date

I got to work yesterday morning and decided Jake and I needed to celebrate St. Patrick's Day by doing something. And then it came to me. I remembered all those times that mom would reward us for getting good grades in elementary school by taking us to the grocery store to make an "O" dinner or an "A" dinner where all the food had to begin with the letter of our outstanding grades. So...I decided we would celebrate the holiday by doing a "green" dinner, without using food coloring.

After I had made up my mind I called Jacob to tell him I would be picking him up at his home after work for a St. Patrick's Day themed date and let him know he was not to eat dinner. Those were all the details he got. So when I got to his door I was pleasantly surprised to see he had on a very nice, new green shirt. He was less than pleasantly surprised to see I was wearing NO green. First time in years I haven't worn green on St. Paddy's day, by the way. I had actually planned to wear my green shoes, but that is a different story.

I am lucky that Jacob is a good sport and was up for the green meal idea. I really wanted to aim for totally green food but as we were looking through the grocery store there were not a lot of totally green options. And then Jake came up with the brilliant idea to make a spinach quiche. There was enough green spinach in it to make it green enough to satisfy me. And it was delicious. We also made a lime pie. I would say it was a key lime pie but it really wasn't made with key limes. It was still green limey deliciousness!

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!

13 comments:

jacob said...

Jake?

Sandy Brunson said...

Yes Jake. Occasionally.

Mary Ann said...

I've noticed you calling him Jake more often too. Apparently, he doesn't really approve, eh? Your date sounded fun. Last week Scott and I paid $55 for a "key" lime pie. Don't worry, it was for a good cause--youth camps fundraiser. We (and by we, I mean Scott) should try making our own cheaper version.

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

Your dinner sounds awesome! I hope it's a tradition for you guys. :) BTW love the new background.

Strupp Family said...

Is green jello considered food coloring? You should've incorporated that. Remember how you used to make fun of my mom's jello drawer? Just a thought.

Grammyzanne said...

What a fun idea for a date. Your dinner sounds good.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

We ate a key lime pie for dessert yesterday too. However, I bought it from the Publix Bakery for 6.99 and saved myself some much needed time.

Harmony said...

I didn't even think of green desert! my kids enjoyed green pancakes (yes, with food coloring) shaped like shamrocks and green eggs (also with food coloring). Oh, and don't forget the green milk. I'm pretty sure I dyed their insides green as well. :)

Austin's Mommy said...

How creative. I should try being creative more often. Might be fun.

scott said...

The Madsen's have a drawer deicated entirely to Jello? I would make fun of that too!

Lynda/Mom said...

I think you did enough to substitute for me totally ignoring St. Patricks Day--it's an old Lawrence tradition to do that. But good for you. I taught Jane that she doesn't have to wear green because only mean people pinch you if you don't, and we don't want to be around mean people. I guess I did my duty. Aunt Lynda

Merilee said...

I cannot believe you did not wear green. The night before St. Pat's day I pinched my roomie in her bed for her oversight. Ridiculous.

Way to do the green food without coloring. It always makes the meal taste funny, mind games or no.