Friday, June 19, 2009

The smell of a tree

I was riding my bike from my apartment to my house and kind of taking the long way through some neighborhoods. I passed a tree that reminded me instantly of my childhood. It was the kind of tree that used to grow in the trailer park I grew up in. But this tree seemed to be more prevalent at the dirt hill at the top row of the trailer park.

It's one of the places we used to play as kids. I think we called it "sticker stadium." Am I wrong about that?

It's also the place that Lynda, MaryAnn, Anne Ireland and I had our secret "stick and rock" club.

And I was terrified of going up there alone.

These were the thoughts that raced through my mind from smelling the tree as I was enjoying a bit of a bike ride...good times.

5 comments:

jared and mary 2 said...

It's funny what can trigger a memory. At least it was a happy memory (mostly).

MaryAnn said...

Sticker stadium was not the hill at the top of the trailer park. It was the empty field in the neighborhood that we live in now. I don't think we had a name for the hill at the top of the trailer park. I had forgotten about that stick and rock club. Mostly I remember trying to climb that hill in the winter on the way to Mountain View - not fun!

Mary Ann said...

Stickery mountain was the name of the hill at the top of the trailer park. MaryAnn is right about stickery stadium being the sledding hill above the law offices. Good times, we were such wierd children. Maybe we haven't outgrown it! THis is Scott not Mary Ann I just don't want to sign in as myself.

John L. Carter said...

That's funny. I remember that.

Merilee said...

I had no idea you lived in a trailer park and played with rocks and sticks growing up. Very nice.

We had goats. Sandy, you are a treasure.