Monday, June 1, 2009

The Home Stretch

I have been somewhat delinquent in posting about my little sister's wedding and for that I apologize.

Diana got married over Memorial day weekend and Jacob and I drove out for the wedding. It was fun to take our first road trip together and I must admit the 7.5 hour drive went very quickly. I wish I could say the same for the trip home, but that is for later in this post. (How's that for a little teaser?)

Diana's wedding was lovely and I think everything went very smoothly. I hope mine is equally as smooth and enjoyable. It was fun to be with family and friends. And I think we are lucky to welcome Sam into the family. I'm pleased to have him for a brother-in-law.







I was also very fortunate to spend time with family and friends at a bridal shower very early Monday morning. Thanks everyone for coming at such an early hour. It was fun. And thanks Shannon and MaryAnn for hosting it.

The bad news is that my car started experiencing some brake issues a few nights before we were set to leave. So while I was enjoying breakfast and company at Mimi's and trying on my wedding dress, Jacob was trying to get brakes fixed on a day when almost no one was open. He was pretty frustrated and ready to abandon the car in Utah and fly home (we would have picked up the car at some point prior to getting married.) I wasn't keen on that idea and was having a pretty frustrating time with my dress and I must admit I did not handle the stress of it all well. I had a very small breakdown after leaving the dress shop and heading back to my parents house.

Thanks to all the help of my family (especially Karen for calling Sears) we were able to find that Sears Automotive was open and did brakes. We headed over there and then proceeded to wait for several hours while they replaced both rear brake calipers. So, after many tears and many dollars, we headed for Colorado.

This time the 7.5 hours did not fly by. Turns out driving from 4:30 to Midnight is a lot longer of a drive than leaving at noon. Stupid car trouble!

And now to really address the point of this blog, and the title of the post. Since Diana's wedding it has definitely felt like Jacob and I are rapidly approaching our own wedding date. It is amazing how quickly the time went. I made a countdown chain and it is diminishing quickly. We are currently at 25 days. It feels especially weird since getting our announcements out. I feel like I have way more free time because I don't think I have any wedding planning left to do. I guess there are a few small things, but it feels much less taxing.


Probably not for my mom though!

11 comments:

Grammyzanne said...

I'm rather confident your mom feels some pressure - but then she is probably smarter than I was and doesn't take so much on herself. My guess is that those "few little things" are going to take more time than you expect. The next 3 1/2 weeks will be gone before you know it.

Hope you got the dress problem worked out. I like your wedding chain.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

True that! (Your last statement I am referring to) I like the picture of Sam with my girls. They look very comfortable. They (my kids) all were commenting (without my initiating) about how much they like both of their new uncles (Sam and Jacob). So, if it means anything to Jacob, my kids approve of your choice! Look forward to seeing you in 25 days.

Christy said...

I just got your announcement and I must say you two make a great couple! Congrats on being done with the majority of the planning. Enjoy your free time and prepare yourself for the big day! Good Luck! See you soon! :)

Harmony said...

Yay!! Enjoy the last couple relatively "stress-free" weeks. And don't forget to breathe! :)

MaryAnn said...

It will go fast - I am sure. I think Mom's decision to have Cold Stone at the reception should hopefully make things a little easier for her. I'm sure it will all come together smoothly. See you soon!

Emily said...

Congrats to Diana- she looks beautiful! Sorry about all the troubles. :( I'm so pleased you have a countdown chain(!) and that your wedding is coming up so soon, of course. :)

Merilee said...

Car trouble: Sucks.

Driving 4:30 to midnight: Sucks.

Getting married chain: Unsucks.

Your sister's wedding: Joyful, beautiful!

You: Precious Precious Sandy!

Dennis Carter said...

Yup, your turn is coming up fast! The Coldstone idea is definitely helping keep Mom's stress level within reason. See ya soon!

Lynda/Mom said...

So fun to see you all. I'm looking forward to the next installment. Sorry about your car, but it will probably soon be forgotten. Aunt Lynda

Strupp Family said...

Hey! Diana looks beautiful. I haven't gotten your announcement yet, but we did just move. I might have to find out the particulars in case it gets lost in the mail. I'll let you know. I'm REALLY sorry about the stupid car troubles...that's NO fun when you're trying to worry about more important things. Are you serious? Cold Stone at your recepthion? They do that? I'm definitely coming then :)

Austin's Mommy said...

So exciting!!! The Carter family is so fun.