Sunday, October 18, 2009

Tis the Season

I really love the fall. Have I mentioned that before? But I am especially loving it this year because I get to decorate a house that is my own. Not just a place I rent, it's mine. Well, and Jacob's. I've collected stuff through the years in preparation for decorating my home according to whatever season or holiday it may be. And, I've picked up a few new things this year.

So this is what I've done with the place. Some of it is hard to capture on film, but trust me it is all very festive!


Shannon, remember these from the Christmas Tree store in Cape Cod?


The wreath is a new acquisition, like bought it yesterday kind of new.

We have this fun little shelve area above our kitchen counters. It has pretty well been bare since I moved in in July. But now it is be-decked with fall decor. And pretty fun I must say. I'm already starting to get visions about Christmas decorations!

And as a bonus...here are some photos of our attempt to fly a kite on a clear, less than windy, fall day. The attempts were pretty futile. But we had some fun just the same.




I always want to make bread in the fall and yesterday was no exception. I had plans to make two loaves and deliver one to the neighbors, because they are always bringing us delicious food items, and eating the other with our tomato gravy for dinner. So I set out to baking and mixed up a lovely batch of half white, half wheat bread. It was perfect.

After putting the dough in the pans to let them rise I started re-filling our bread flour container. I filled it all up and put the big bag of flour back in the pantry. As I turned to start cleaning off the counter I realized there were a few unwelcomed visitors on the counter in the form of weevil. YUCK!

So, Jacob and I threw away the bag of flour and the freshly filled containers worth, and began checking other such items in the pantry. I think we lucked out and the contamination was confined to the bag of flour, or at least I hope so. I haven't seen any signs of the little buggers since disposing of said flour.

As for the loaves of bread. There may be weevil in it, but I cooked it up anyway. It's not going to kill anyone right? The bread cooked up beautifully so I sent it to the neighbors, weevil and all.

NO...I DID NOT! But I had you going didn't I?

I did cook it up and Jacob and I are eating it but I did NOT take it to the neighbors. I hope the bread we are eating is weevil free. But if not, we haven't had any negative consequences from eating the bread yet. Keep those fingers crossed for us!

And happy fall!

12 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

The bugs won't hurt you, and whatever they might have been carrying probably died in the baking. I won't write my weevil story about inviting company for Sunday dinner once a long time ago. Your decorations are festive indeed--glad you get to enjoy decorating your own home. It is so satisfying! Aunt Lynda

Mary Ann said...

Cute decorations! I'm pretty sure Scott would throw up if there was even a slight possibility that a weevil might be in his food. I would probably just dry heave. You two are tough!

Kelli said...

Aw, it would just be an added bonus of protein in your bread anyways, right? I just hate those little weevils. As for the decor, love it! I always long for those autumn wreaths, swearing one day I'll get one...maybe next year. sigh...

Nicole said...

What's a weevil?

Cute decorations! You were always good at that kind of thing. Me...stuggling to decorate my house. Got a lot of idea...from looking at other peoples blogs, I just have to do it.

Jason&Shannon said...

No, I don't remember those placemats. Glad you are using them, and they do look nice. I will look forward to seeing your blog when it is Christmas time.

scott said...

I think one sure way of making sure bread is less than perfect is planning on giving a loaf away!

MaryAnn said...

Your decorations are cute. I don't have any Halloween decorations, so Megan decided she needed to make some the other day. I don't think I could eat bread that might have weevils in it. Yuck!

Emily said...

So festive! I love it! So where/how do you store your decorations in the off season? That's an awesome story about the bread. Glad you haven't had any negative consequences. :0

Merilee said...

Sandy, you are adorable. I love your decorations, I love your tree pictures, and I am grateful for your kite flying endeavors. Woot!

Merilee said...

And you should have given them the bread. They wouldn't have even noticed the extra protein bars.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Hey, it looks like you got some nice weather again. Beautiful decorations. Sandy, your house is going the be the house everyone wants to come to and be safe and cozy there. A real haven. I love the wreath! Curtis asked me yesterday if I wanted to use the old grape vine he was cutting down to shape into a wreath. I gave him a weird look. I suppose I could try... He assured me I could because I'd taken a floral design class. Well, maybe another year I'll work on that wreath-making skill. Love you, Sand. Wear lots of cute sweaters! I know you will!

BRANDON AND NICOLE said...

Ditto. :) Love your decorations.