Friday, October 30, 2009

Any Suggestions?

I am working on painting my basement bedroom but I'm running into a few problems. there was a nasty wallpaper border put around the room in the middle of the wall. I've been trying to remove it but it is stuck on there pretty well. When it does come up it pulls the wall with it...clear to the dry wall. I'm thinking of just mudding and texturizing over it but I'm concerned that the paper will then start to peel underneath and I'll just have a big mess on my hands.

I really DO NOT want to continue attempting to remove the border. I've pulled up any loose spots and sanded it all down in preparation for the mud and texture...

Any suggestions? Or should I continue in my plan?

7 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Um, I have no idea how to solve that problem. Sorry. I just wanted to say that I think it would be wicked awesome to paint the room orange and black to go with all the spiders. :)

Sandy Brunson said...

Thanks Mary Ann. Just wanted to let you know the spider problem has abated as we sprayed.

MaryAnn said...

Yeah - I don't know either. I know some times on trading spaces they painted over wallpaper rather than removing it, but I always thought the wallpaper would eventually peel making a mess. I guess you could always just mud and texture and then if it does peel at some point down the road, deal with it then.

scott said...

I don't have any suggestions but I am almost 100% sure the wallpaper will bubble up and make a mess. Do you remember when the parents wallpapered over the orange floral print in the living room? The old wall paper bubbled up and made a mess when they put the paper over the top. I think the same thing will happen when you try to mud and texture. Maybe ask Dad what they did to fix that.

Lynda/Mom said...

What have you used to try to remove it? Have you tried fabric softener diluted in a spray bottle? I say scrape it off somehow, then mud and texture, then paint. But what do I know? Aunt Lynda

Dennis Carter said...

We've always used a spray bottle filled with plain water. Soak it down good and scrape off with a wide putty knife. Some wallpaper is vinyl and has a top layer that pulls easily off. Then soak the underlying layer and it will scrape off. You can also rent a steamer, but we've found the spray method works just as well and is less costly.

Nelka said...

A slight variation on what your dad said: I use HOT water in a spray bottle, plus a little fabric softener. Seriously. Amazing. When I moved into the room I'm staying in now, it was a hideous gray-blue with a bright border of sandals and flowers. Sick. I just soaked down the border, drank a lemonade, and then it practically fell off. I hope that it gets to be that easy for you.