Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Married Christmas!

I had my first Christmas married to Jacob and away from my family. And it was a pretty good one! I had my moments of homesickness and sadness but mostly it was really fun.

Jacob's parents came to see our house and spend Christmas with us. We had a good time showing them the new home and introducing them to Colorado winters.

We spent Christmas Eve at Jacob's uncle's house, Uncle Gordon. Gordon is Jacob's dad's twin brother. I'm pretty sure they had a good time getting together. It also felt like home to me because we played chimes and acted out the Nativity story from the Bible, though it was acted out with characters on blocks instead of people dressed up. But it was really nice.

The next day was very relaxed with no little kids to wake us up early. Jacob and I got out of bed at about 8:00 and fixed up some breakfast; french toast casserole and fresh squeezed orange juice and grapefruit juice. I also set out all the Christmas goodies I had made and purchased. It was quite the spread. Jacob's parents came upstairs and we went through our stockings while the breakfast cooked but not before a family prayer. We ate breakfast and then enjoyed opening a few more gifts before getting a call from Rachel, Jacob's sister on a mission in Florida. It was really enjoyable hearing all she is learning and doing on her mission. We were also able to get Jacob's other sister, Sarah, in Utah connected to the call through Skype. It worked out pretty well. The rest of the day was spent eating junk, playing games, and enjoying each others company. I was able to talk with most of my family and that was also nice.

Looking out our front window on Christmas morning

fresh squeezed orange juice

The treat spread...mmmmm...


The fun begins...

Santa brought us root beer

Dad and Mom Brunson with their matching IPod touches


I did end up cooking my first Turkey for Christmas Dinner. I had offered to feed the Missionaries for our ward, so Jacob and I thought we ought to do a pretty decent Christmas dinner. We had turkey, potatoes, gravy, veggie tray, rolls, and cauliflower made with cheese. It was pretty delicious and turned out pretty well.

Jacob carving his first turkey...I'm so proud!


I took the rest of the week off to spend with Jacob and his parents. We had some fun shopping for furniture, doing some small repairs around the home, going out to eat, touring the Denver Mint, attending a session at the Denver Temple and playing loads of games, of course. I discovered I like Scrabble. We also played quite a bit of Mexican Train. Lots of fun.

Old Town at night in the snow. The lights in the back aren't perfectly clear but trust me, it is lovely down there.

Mexican Train




Overall, it was a good Christmas and it was fun trying to figure out traditions for our new family.

Now we just have to decide how to spend New Years Eve...

7 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

Good job, Sandy and Jacob. New Years Eve should be easy. Aunt Lynda

MaryAnn said...

Looks like a fun time. You could spend New Year's the way I do - going to bed early. I don't really get into that holiday.

Kathy said...

I used to live 2 miles away from the Denver temple at the beginning of my high school life. I love Colorado!

Amber said...

Looks super fun and Super COLD. Don't you love Skype? I would never have survived 6 years away from family without technology.
Merry Christmas.

Harmony said...

I love scrabble, and mexican train! It's too bad you live like 700 miles away, otherwise we could have a game night!

Laura Stringham said...

you guys always seem so busy doing fun things. i'm sure brent and i were never that fun.

Mary Ann said...

Looks like a fun Christmas! So who won Mexican Train?