Friday, December 18, 2009

A Quick Update About Very Little

I realize I haven't posted in a while.
That's probably because I don't have anything super post-worthy to share. At least not yet.
I don't know about you, but I feel like I need one more week before Christmas. I still have baking to do, a room to finish painting and putting back together, grocery shopping and a house to clean. At least the gift shopping is done. I do need to wrap a few items though.
And speaking of finishing the basement bedroom...I hope to be able to post some before and after pictures very shortly. But I don't know how pleased I am with the "after" yet. I think I have really good visions of what things should look like in my head but then when it comes to executing those things they rarely turn out as spectacularly as I had seen them in my minds eye. But I guess it's like Jacob said, the room looks way better than it did before. I just need to finish painting the border and doors. Then it's the finishing touches like getting some curtains up, hanging some pictures and such. After all that I'll post a picture of the amazingness it will be.
I've been trying to get some of my Christmas baking done in the midst of all of the painting. So far I have only made some delicious Bavarian Mints, peppermint bark and some mediocre peanut brittle. I'm most unhappy about the peanut brittle. Apparently I was too impatient. It's not quite perfect, and I'm a perfectionist. It could have cooked a little longer. It's not chewy by any means but it's not as brittle-y as it should be either. I always get a little antsy after adding the peanuts and this year was no exception. So it's a little lighter in color than I would prefer too. Oh well. It's not bad enough to start over with a new batch so it will have to do. I still have a list of things to make: spritz cookies, toffee, and hello dollies to be exact. And I need to buy some cashews and pistachios.
I love how I use the word "need" there. Come on, none of it is really a "need." More a want.
I want all my favorites from home because, as pathetic as it may be at age 30, this is my first Christmas away from my family. I imagine there will be a few tears at some point but so far I have been managing pretty well.
Probably because I've been so busy.
And this whole activities committee/ward Christmas party is really adding to my stress. I have to spend all night tonight and all day tomorrow in preparations and then the party is Saturday evening. Probably not good timing. I think it's too close to Christmas to be doing a party. It's the last weekend to get everything else done. Oh well...I'll do what I have to do. That's how I roll.
Throw in feeling a little less energetic due to a cold and it's pretty easy to see why I'm so exhausted all the time.
But, I am pleased to be sporting a new hair cut. It's been a while since I had a really good cut, and this one is. I love it. And it's pretty easy to do. The stylist did a great job of working around my crazy cowlicks and my hair is laying exactly as it should. Plus, this salon does a head massage and paraffin wax dip for you hands prior to the cut. Brilliant.

7 comments:

Mary Ann said...

We are going to miss you A LOT this Christmas! It won't be the same without you. I want to see a picture of your new haircut!

MaryAnn said...

I haven't been feeling very festive either and I think part of it is because I'm not going home for Christmas this year. You think I would be used to it by now since this is not the first time, but maybe you just never get used to it. You are doing way more baking then me. I decided if I made a bunch of stuff I would probably just end up eating it all myself and I really don't need to do that. I'm sure that when it comes down to it you will enjoy Christmas in your own home with your husband.

Lynda/Mom said...

For being tired and not ambitious, I admire your accomplishments. I just want to sleep and veg when I feel like that. It is hard to be away from family at Christmas, but you'll be thought of and missed. Sometimes I hate it that things have to change. Aunt Lynda

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Change is exactly what we have constant in my household. I guess I've gotten somewhat used to it, but I do miss the game playing at the Carter's house. I too want the picture of the hair....you are usually good at including pictures.

Janet said...

I'm with the rest. We need to see pictures of the haircut.

Laura Stringham said...

your post just made me tired. how come Christmas is so stinking busy? I'm impressed with all you've accomplished and I too would like some photos.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Sand, I just finished reading about your birthday and Christmas decorating and your Christmas plans. I hope you are feeling better now that the weekend has passed and the party is over. You will have some sweet experiences this year. It is different (and also special) that first Christmas truly away from home--or at least where home used to be with family. I know I did pretty well my first Christmas away from home until the evening of Christmas day. Curtis tried his best to keep things cheery but he could see I was sinking into a bit of melancholy. So he took me to my bedroom and told me he'd pick me up at 8 and to dress up. Sure enough, he picked me up all dressed up himself and whisked me out the door to our empty church building, to which he had a key, and there he took me dancing--a huge polka all around the basketball court. Took my breath away. It was so fun. I know you'll make some good memories this year. And crying a little is okay, too. :) Love you!