Sunday, July 11, 2010

Fourth of July Fun

Any of you that know me well, know that I LOVE the 4th of July.

Last year we were in Oregon for our honeymoon and open house. It was the first 4th I hadn't been in Provo with my family doing our usual thing.

This year was my second year away from Provo and I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it a bit.

It was fun trying to figure out the local festivities even though I didn't actually do many of them. We thought about attending the parade in a nearby town on Saturday but decided waking up early was less appealing. And we were having friends over for a bbq that afternoon and needed to get things prepared. So we didn't go to the parade. Most everything happening in our neck of the woods was happening on the actual 4th which was Sunday, so we didn't do any of the downtown stuff locally.

It seems what we did do revolved around food. We had a bbq on Saturday with a couple from our ward. Jacob and I made pulled pork. The slow cooked variety. Seriously, slow. We cooked that pork for 5-6 hours. And it was tasty!


On Sunday we ended up doing another bbq just for ourselves. We grilled up so baby back ribs. I've never had them before. They were also really tasty. Though the enjoyment of the food was dampened a little when mid-way through a massive storm blew in. We got so much rain and so quickly that our window seals flooded in the living room and dining area. We had to stop eating and grab all the towels we could find to soak up the water. I think the reports say we got an inch of rain in about 45 minutes to an hour. But judging by the rain in our bucket on the back porch, I'd estimate more like 3 inches. And it hailed pretty badly. Our plants were slightly damaged but nothing major.



We did enjoy spending some time Sunday making this delicious and patriotic dessert. It's basically mini-fruit pizzas. But aren't they so festive?!?



The rain didn't really completely stop for the rest of the evening. But it did become a much more manageable drizzle that Jacob and I braved to watch the fireworks over City Park. They put on a pretty good display and we had prime seating because not that many people were out in the storm.

Monday we spent some time shopping. I can't remember why or what we actually bought but I do remember spending the morning out and about. We then did some cleaning as we were expecting Jacob's sister and family to arrive that night. They were to stay with us a week while Kevin started his new job and they waited to close on their new home. It was a good excuse to mop floors that hadn't seen soap and water for far too long.

That evening we had some friends over for left-over bbq pork, game playing, and smore making.



All in all I think it was a good holiday. And I did love that it made for a 3 day weekend. I kinda want another. No, really, I just want to be done working period. But that is a post for another day maybe.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Your food looks amazing! Hope the flooding didn't leave any lasting damage. Happy late 4th of July!

Nicole said...

Those fruit pizzas look delicious and just plain adorably festive! They look so good! I may just copy you next year!

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

I second Nicole's comments on the fruit pizzas. In fact, Katie is looking over my shoulder and said "oooooo, How did they make that?" Nice job.

Lynda/Mom said...

It was a really awkward holiday with the 4th on Sunday. We missed any and all fireworks, but we did hit the pancake breakfast at the church (french toast this year) and the parade in Parowan--my favorite parade. You did well! Aunt Lynda