Sunday, July 11, 2010

Celebrating A Year--A few weeks ago.

It's official. Jacob and I made it to the 1 year milestone of marriage. It's interesting to think back to a year ago and how long ago it seems and at the same time not so much. Time is strange.
But...more to the point.

To commemorate our year of wedded-ness we headed up to Breckenridge for an evening of worry free fun. We rented a condo for pretty cheap since Breckenridge is a ski town and it is definitely "off season." We went out to dinner down town at a delicious Italian place and had the best calzone I've ever eaten. Seriously, I am still thinking about it and drooling over it. I would drive up there just for that.


We then strolled around the town but most of the shops were closed for the evening. It was really great weather (a little sprinkling rain but pretty warm) and we enjoyed the downtown area and atmosphere. It was a really nice little walk. We made our way back to the condo and enjoyed watching some tv. I know that seems weird to many of you but we don't have cable at our house so it was a nice change.

The condo we stayed in was pretty nice. It was large and had a kitchen so we were able to do dessert and breakfast a little cheaper than eating out every meal. Jacob said it was a little weird to be spending our June anniversary in a condo decorated with snowmen and pine cones. I agree. But still, nice. I do think we would have been able to enjoy our stay a little bit more if I wasn't pregnant. But we were at a pretty high altitude and didn't want to do anything too over-exerting so biking and hiking were out. I'm kind of a paranoid, worrier sort. I know that's shocking.

The following morning we checked out and went downtown again. They had a little arts fair going on and we walked around that for a little bit. We went into a few of the main street shops but it turns out neither of us were really that into buying anything.




Which makes our next stops all the more interesting. We proceeded down the mountain a little ways to the outlet mall. We spent some time there and left with nothing. Still not much in the purchasing mood I guess. But we were a little hungry so we stopped to split a burrito from Qdoba.


As we drove through Denver we also stopped at Costco and Sears. But I'm pretty sure we didn't buy anything there either. Except a berry smoothy. Yum.


We made it home and decided to go see Iron Man 2 since we still hadn't. We treated ourselves to popcorn too! That is a rare treat for me. Movie theater popcorn is so spendy and so bad for me! But it was delicious. Plus, a pregnant girls gotta eat, right?


All in all it was a very nice way to celebrate being together. It was good to leave our home and not have to worry about cooking and cleaning and laundry and home repairs and gardens and such. Even if it was just one day.


And I must admit, even with all the chores and responsibilities that come with a home and a marriage, it's been a very happy, satisfying year! I am a lucky, blessed girl!

2 comments:

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

I guess next time I come to Colorado I need to go eat Calzones in Breckenridge. Sounds yum. Glad you had a nice anniversary and glad too that you are pregnant, even if it does dampen the celebrating a bit. But how did you manage to go to an Outlet mall and not buy anything....marriage has changed you.

Lynda/Mom said...

Good thing you saved your money for the thrift store and the estate sale! Congratulations, you guys! Aunt Lynda