Thursday, February 3, 2011

Okay, Next Question

I appreciate the feedback about my parenting questions. So much so that I have another.

Isaac has been sleeping swaddled in one of those cotton swaddlers with velcro to keep it shut, you know what I'm talking about? But, I think he wants to be done with it. He never loved the initial swaddle anyway but would sleep longer without his hands waking him up. However, now he is breaking free of the swaddle and waking himself up anyway. But I think the swaddling is a cue to sleep as part of his routine. Sing, swaddle, put in bed. And usually he is out within 15 minutes.

So, how do I transition him from sleeping swaddled to sleeping unswaddled? Any one have experience in that department?

5 comments:

Emily said...

Ansley slept better swaddled too!

We found that the kiddopotamus swaddlers worked better than any other brand- we were able to get a few more months of swaddling with the kiddopotamus.

By the time she was ready to stop being swaddled, it was cold and she needed a fleece footed sleeper and that kind of substituted for being swaddled. We'd wrap her loosely in a blanket, knowing she would "escape." The blanket was loose enough that it didn't wake her up when it came off.

Mary Ann said...

I can't wait to read the advice you get from this post. I also have a question for you. Have you found a good way to make Isaac's crib incline?

Kathy said...

I would just loosen my swaddling every night. It was pretty tight and snug when they were tiny but once they got to the 3 month mark they wanted to be a little more free. So to get them used to it I would just loosen the swaddling until they weren't so jumpy.

Austin's Mommy said...

Mary Ann, my doctor said to put a couple books under the feet on one side.

Sandy, Austin didn't like swaddling because he didn't like his arms being trapped. If you wrap a blanket starting under his armpits in a swaddle style so that his arms are free but he's still swaddled that may help. That's what I did with Austin.

Kelli said...

Ah, good question. My first had to be super-tight swaddled every time he slept for quite some time. He got to the point where you are, where he'd wiggle his arms out too. He just kept doing it until that stretchy swaddling blanket no longer fit him.