Monday, February 21, 2011

Really Losing It

Can I just say again, babies are hard.

Jacob and I are trying to get Isaac sleeping in his own room in his crib. He has been sleeping in an inclined seat/sleeper thing in our room so the transition to flat on his back is a struggle.

He is crying a lot.

I am crying a lot.

Jacob is lucky to go to work tomorrow and get away from this crying household.

We started yesterday and he slept very little. He would go to sleep okay but staying asleep was a different story. And then the evening came. He's always a little more difficult to get to sleep in the evenings and yesterday was especially bad. At 10:20 last night I gave up and put him in our room in his inclined sleeper again.

We've decided to do things a little more slowly and focus on just getting him used to the crib during nap times. I can't do the crying and up all night right now.

Today has been a little better. Still not sleeping as long as he usually would during his naps, but at least he is sleeping some.

The crying is still hard. I hate it. It makes me feel like a bad parent. But, I don't know how else to help him learn to sleep in his crib.

I think I am destined to be the mother of one.

But he sure looks cute sleeping in that crib. I'll post a picture tomorrow.

That is if I'm not too busy cutting my ears off.

7 comments:

Strupp Family said...

You're a great mom! I can't take the crying either. I often thought during some crying spells that I don't know how moms with collicky babies do it. Bless them and their patience.

You just keep doing what keeps you sane and you'll all be better off. :)

Unknown said...

Have you tried propping up one end of his crib? Put a couple of sturdy books under the legs at one end and always put his head at that end. That might help the transition seem less sudden to him. Or if you can put what he's sleeping in now in his own room for a while, then move to the crib... just fewer changes all at once. White noise was always helpful for our girls too when they moved to their own room so it didnt' seem so quiet and alone. In frustration I finally put Kate to sleep with the tv turned onto a non-station so she was listening to the "snow" sound. Later we just used a fan pointed away from the bed. It also let them sleep more soundly since it helped block out other sounds. I am personally of the opinion that sleep for mama is important, and he's not going to be sleeping in your bed when he's 12 no matter whether you let him stay in your room longer now or not. You getting the rest you need now, though, could make the difference in him making it to 12 or not ;) (Okay, not literally).

Unknown said...

I don't know how moms do it. I went to CO with my roommate this weekend and her mom was babysitting 4 grandkids, ages 2-8. The 2 yr old was so whiney and cried way too much for my comfort. And there was always someone with sticky fingers, leaving yuckiness everywhere. I've never been a person who loves babies, but sticky, crying babies are even worse. Someday, hopefully I'll overcome that barrier. As for you and your crying baby... good luck! Don't feel bad-- lots of parents do it that way. Consider it that "growing stage" that he needs to go through in order to progress in life. Love ya lady.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

oh girl, don't be so hard on yourself. Sleep training is hard on the whole household. Good luck!

MaryAnn said...

Your silly. Of course - myabe you don't want to take my advice because I'm not good at sleep training, but I don't know why you can't leave him in that incline sleep thinging a little longer. He's still months away from outgrowing it, right? So give it a few months a try again later. But, like I said, maybe you don't want to take my advice.

Emily said...

Sandy! I felt/still feel the same way about the crying! It doesn't mean you're a bad parent! Ansley slept in her bouncer until about 8 weeks. I think she liked being slightly upright (she probably had reflux in hindsight). Anyway, she'd kick and flail enough that we decided she needed to be in her crib. We started having her sleep in her crib at nap times. We all also got so exhausted we stuck her in our bed so we could get some sleep rather than no sleep. Anyway, one day you will all sleep again!!

Austin's Mommy said...

I want to offer you words of encouragement but I don't really know what to say. I don't do the crying thing either. Parenting is hard. And it is great. And he is cute in those photos you posted. When it's time to have another baby you'll feel ready. For now just enjoy and worry about the one you've got.