Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Disagreement and a Doctor's Visit

So, the other day I received a letter in the mail from my former employer stating that since I didn't return to work from my FMLA leave they were requesting repayment of all insurance premiums made on my behalf while I was on leave. The amount requested was around $1200.

I read the letter to Jacob and he and I agreed this amount seemed excessive. So we began some research.

He and I both remember planning my official end date according to our understanding that they couldn't request payment while I was still a paid employee. I had accrued vacation and ELB leave that we figured ended on December 1st and my last official day was December 10th. So, they should only really be collecting on 10 days of unpaid leave.

Jacob looked up the FMLA laws online and verified that we were correct in assuming no repayment until I went on unpaid leave.

So, I called my HR representative and left a message stating I had received the letter and believed the amount to be inaccurate. She called back a few days later and seemed a little put off. I explained my understanding of the leave policy and she responded with "where did you read that?" I told her I was pretty sure it was in the initial paperwork requesting FMLA leave and that we had also looked up the laws online. She stated she would check into it and call me back. But she was a little curt if you ask me.

And this is where it gets good. She did indeed call back. And my how her manner had changed. She was the most polite and friendly HR rep you ever did see. She stated her most sincere apologies and indicated that Jacob and I were correct. She indicated the recalculated amount was more around $400 but that I wasn't to worry about it just yet. She felt so terrible about it that she was going to the management team on Monday to see if she couldn't get it totally waived. She also mentioned that I was a great employee and they wouldn't want to do anything that would discourage me from returning to work for them if I should so choose.

I laughed. Not while on the phone with her, but certainly the minute I hung up. And then I called Jacob and he also found great amusement in the turn of events.

So we'll see if she calls again on Monday with news that I don't have to pay anything.

On to the Doctor's visit!

Isaac had his appointment today. Let me just say I hate the crying from shots. It's the saddest thing. But he is now soundly asleep so I'm certain he will recover just fine.

And for those who care, he is checking in at 14.4 lbs (41st percentile) and 25 in (55th percentile).

And he is perfectly healthy and handsome. Doctor approved.

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Haha, awesome. I love it when we're right about stuff like that and the other people have to have a little bit of an attitude adjustment. How nice would that be to not have to pay anything?! That's so nice for you to have had this long of a leave from work! Most people I've known have barely been able to get 2 months!

Grammyzanne said...

It's always nice when you are right and "establishment" is wrong.

Doctor approved and family approved.

Mary Ann said...

That's a funny story. I hope you don't have to pay back anything. I'm glad Isaac is doing so well. Did you know that Scott cried when Hannah got her 2-month shots? He's a total softy.

BRANDON AND NICOLE said...

Good for you! Hey, if you move to Canada, you'll get one year of PAID maternity leave, and you're husband will get a few weeks as well. Is that awesome or what? Then again, if you ever have to go to the emergency room , you could be waiting for 10 hours or 10 months, just to see a doctor, no kidding. :)