Sunday, July 31, 2011

Firsts

Today has been an eventful day of firsts, some will be repeated, others hopefully not.

On the hopefully not repeated side of the scale, we made our first call to poison control.

Yep, in our exceptional parenting our 9 month old son ate one of those packets that usually come in shoes, purses and such. You know, the ones that say "do not eat." Apparently there was one in my diaper bag that I failed to throw away. And of course, Isaac found it while I was paying less attention to him than I should have been. And of course, he ate it. I'm not sure how many of the actual pellets he consumed. There seemed to be a ton vacuumed off our floor, but who knows. Jacob called poison control and the guy on the other end of the line was very helpful and very kind. He made sure to mention that they get calls about those packets all the time. Turns out the silica inside the packet is not poisonous. He described it as the equivalent of sand. He said it was probably like eating a hot dog at the beach on a windy day. He advised us to keep Isaac well hydrated and to call back if he had any other complications though he doubted there would be any.

So, crisis averted. Phew...

On the upside of new things. I piped icing onto cupcakes for the first time and they are quit pretty. The recipe is from the "cake doctor" but I'm not thrilled with it. They are a tasty "cinnamon toast" cupcake but I don't love the amount of oil the recipe called for. They seem slightly greasy to me. I think I would cut back on the oil next time. The frosting, however, is fantastic. It is a cream cheese cinnamon frosting. Yum!




4 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Sorry about the Poison control scare - good thing it ended up not being a crisis. Your cupcakes look delish!

Mary Ann said...

I'm so glad your crisis ended up not really being one. Cupcakes seem like a great way to celebrate. I LOVE the day in the life of Isaac. Great idea! I'm totally going to use it sometime. My favorite pics are of Isaac sleeping with his bum in the air and of him crawling into the bathroom. Way cute! I think I'll go check my diaper bag for packets now...

Jason&Shannon said...

Those cupcakes look pretty good, though I do wonder at this cupcake craze. I just am not big into cake...though I would eat cream cheese cinnamon frosting on something else. Yum.

Emily said...

Glad Isaac's okay!! Your cupcakes look yummy! The frosting looks awesome. I have the same complaint with most cupcake recipes. My only exception thus far is Martha Stewart's Devil's Food Cupcakes. I've tried making vanilla and lemon and they were too greasy/dense/tasted like muffins.