Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Favorite For Sure

So the 4th of July is one of my all time favorite holidays. I think I only like Christmas more because it seems wrong not to. However, I'm still trying to figure out how to do the holiday right in a place other than Provo. I think this year was a pretty close to perfect.

We started the day with a parade. Well, half a parade. As you can see we had two little boys on the not so shady side of the street. That made for some very red faces and adults constantly asking boys to drink some water. My son was happy to oblige but Maxwell is less a fan of the sippy cup. So, as the parade went on and nap time approached we thought it best to make our way back home. For some sleep and some swimming.




Some thought on this parade: It wasn't great. The marching bands were good. There were a lot of horses (the parade is actually in conjunction with a big rodeo). But I didn't see one float. What is a parade without floats? And in the absence of floats a parade aught to have candy. This one didn't. I'm not sure if I'll go back again or not.

Isaac was decked out in his patriotic attire (thanks again to Megan and John for the adorable onesie). And he had enough sunscreen slathered in his hair from swimming after the parade that I was able to give this cute kid a mohawk. I think he rocks it. I might just do it again. Minus the sunscreen.



I am a little sad I don't have photos of swimming in our little wading pool we bought. It's a pretty good sized pool. Jacob, Isaac, Maxwell and I were all able to sit in it comfortably. Well, Isaac probably would have drowned if he tried to sit in it. But he was happy to stand and splash. It was really funny to see Maxwell's reaction to the somewhat chilly water. It was a mixture between a cry and a laugh. Pretty cute. Isaac had no problems with the temperature of the water and just began splashing away. Also pretty cute.

We were pleased to have Sarah, Kevin and Maxwell join us for dinner and dough boy making. I had never had the famous Brunson dough boys so it was a real treat. For those interested, dough boys are biscuits roasted over flame (or charcoals in our case) and filled with pie filling or pudding or whatever else you fancy. They were pretty delicious.





I suppose my one regret (if I were to have any) is passing on the local firework display to allow our baby a decent bedtime. Our plan was to light off our own fireworks but it turns out our city had outlawed anything more than poppers. So it was definitely a first for me. A 4th with no fireworks.

But I did enjoy the sleep instead.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Emily said...

I love that you love the 4th of July so much and Isaac's patriotic outfit!! We skipped the parade this year. Can't believe there weren't any floats!! Sadly, Ansley didn't like the fireworks for the first half, though she'd been talking about them for a week.

Mary Ann said...

I'm glad you guys had a fun 4th of July. We missed you and your strobe-firework dancing. :) I love Isaac in his hat and also with the mohawk. Super cute!

Megan Campbell Carter said...

Love it! Although, no fireworks is so sad. The new law here gave some awesome fireworks here! He looks adorable in that onesie...I'm glad it fit! We totally forgot we got it...guess both Hannah and Isaac were stylin with patriotic pride. :)

BRANDON AND NICOLE said...

I've always love the 4th of July, too! It is sad not to be in Provo for it though, I can commiserate with you! Love the baby's mohawk!