Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Shall We Talk About Utah Again?

Jacob really wanted to hike to the Y.  He seemed to think that it was just not right that I had never done it before.  I guess growing up in Orem and attending BYU I probably should have.  So we woke up the next morning and tried to get as early a start as possible to avoid the heat.  I had been warned that it was a nasty, up-hill hike with loads of switch backs.  It was.  Jacob told me the first two switch backs were the worst and then it leveled out some and got a little easier.  He lied.

But, once I reached the top I found myself saying "That wasn't so bad."  So there ya go.  I'd probably even do it again sometime.  I do however, agree with John and MaryAnn, hiking is much more enjoyable when the scenery is more inviting.  Not that this was ugly, but it's no hike to a falls in beautiful mountain trees and meadows.


Isaac hiked up some of the way, and down too.  I'm just glad Jacob packed him and not me.  I had a hard enough time getting my out of shape body up without an extra 30 some odd pounds.
 
 

I love our attempts at self portraits.  This family shot is especially good.

And I really love this photo some nice man took for us.  The Y itself is pretty steep terrain and Jacob and I are both kind of scaredy.  I love how we are leaning back and clinging to the rocks.

Isaac touched the Y.  I didn't even want to venture that close.  I'm a wimp.

The hike down was a lot faster, and thankfully so, because we were in the sun a good share of the way down.  But it wasn't too bad.  We tried to go get ice cream at the creamery on 9th but the food counter wasn't open yet.  Who doesn't want ice cream at 10:30 in the morning?  Weird.  Luckily, there was some major road construction right by the creamery so Isaac got to watch some diggers.  It wasn't a total waste of time.  We couldn't wait for them to open though because my parents were watching Ben and I didn't want to leave him for too long.  I guess he enjoyed his time with Grandma and Grandpa.  He got a special, lengthy, concert from Grandpa.  He decided to sing him to sleep with his guitar.  I think the guitar proved less soothing but Grandpa just kept at it.  Eventually Ben did fall asleep.  Silly Grandpa.

And here are cute Isaac and Hannah enjoying some time together.  Hannah was a little sick this morning but she was nice enough to humor Isaac a little bit.
 

And then we rounded out the day swimming at Diana's house.  Jacob stayed home with a napping Benjamin.  Isaac hadn't been in a pool for a year.  He was less fond of the life jacket though he did much better with the ring and floaties.  Jacob didn't see his son wearing all the borrowed Dillard girl's pink gear.  He was rocking it though!

After swimming Diana had made homemade Cafe Rio.  I'm usually disappointment by the knockoff versions but for some reason her stuff tasted delicious.

The next day we decided to keep it a little more low key.  We went to the Provo Beach Resort and let the kids play in their play yards.  The toddlers had a little area to play and the older kids had a fun time in a HUGE play ground similar to the toddler area, just massive.

Emily and Isaac had a ball playing together.  I'm pretty sure if I lived in Utah I'd be at this place a lot.  It was only a buck for each toddler for unlimited time.  A good way to beat the heat if you ask me.
 
 

Ben also thought it was pretty great.  We moved these foam shapes around and he climbed to his hearts content.  At least until he realized he was missing the action where Emily and Isaac were and tried to climb up the netted area.
 
 

They also had a carousel that cost a dollar a ride.  Isaac had never been on one before but he talks about it still.  He loved it.
 

The Riverwoods also has a splash pad so we took advantage of that as well.
 

I hadn't brought Isaac's swimming gear so we violated several rules of the splash pad area.  Don't tell, but I didn't use a swim diaper and then I changed his wet one right at the picnic area where we were seated.  Sorry Riverwoods.  That's just how I roll. (Not really.  I'm usually prepared and obedient.  It just wasn't happening that day.)
 


 
It was a fun day for all!

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Looks like lots of fun. We'll have to try the playground at Provo Beach Resort sometime. I love the pics of Hannah and Isaac. Oh, and I love the self portrait of your family. :)

MaryAnn said...

Lovely pictures! Thanks for doing all of those fun activities with us!