Saturday, September 7, 2013

Loving Labor Day

It always starts to feel a little like fall when we start getting some good tomatoes off our plants.  Things seem to ripen later for us here then I remember in Utah.  Maybe we just aren't great at gardening, I don't know.  But...we have started getting some good ones.  And just in time to start our Labor Day weekend.

We had to kick off the BYU football season in the appropriate manner:

homemade salsa and nachos for dinner.
Funny because we didn't even watch the game (we don't have cable).  As I was making the salsa I told Jacob it made me happy and made me feel like fall was just around the corner.  Now if someone could pass that memo on to the 90 degree weather we've been having that would be awesome.


Isaac enjoyed some time creatively playing in the bushes out back.  He said it was his train.  Clearly, what else would a bush be?

These branches are the steering wheel.

And this one the whistle.  Can't you just hear the "choo choo" coming from that little mouth?
 

And back to the steering again.  Wouldn't want to get off course after all.
 

I think this picture is awesome.  He's just relaxing with his garbage truck, kicking back and enjoying his fine Saturday.   I do like that we get a little break from the blazing sun in the afternoons.  For some reason we always seem to get a little overcast for a little while.  Not enough to make the temperature drop, but hey, I'll take it.  At least I don't have to worry as much about sunscreen when it's slightly cloudy.  That makes for both a happier Isaac and a happier mom.  I hate rubbing in all that sunscreen all the time.
 

Sunday I pulled out the new shaved ice machine Jacob had bought for me.  It was really fun.  Isaac loved it.  I had told Jacob all about the fond memories I had growing up and coming home from the pool and making shaved ice.  So when he saw this one on clearance at the store he snagged it for me.  It doesn't shave the ice as fine as I like but it was still a yummy treat.  One we'll do again I'm sure.

I don't think Isaac will mind.

And last but not least, we rested from our labors Monday afternoon and took a ride on the historic trolley downtown.  We have done this once this summer already and Isaac is still asking us to go again.  He loves riding the trolley.  Lucky for him, so does Jacob.

Ben got a kick out of it too.  If you come visit us be sure to come on a weekend and in the summer months and we'll go ride our awesome trolley.  It's pretty fun.
 

Hope you all had a good long Labor Day weekend!

3 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Your salsa looks super yummy! Looks like you guys had a great Labor Day weekend!

Jason&Shannon said...

That is one imaginative little two...almost three year old! Your salsa looks amazing too! When is it I will move back to Colorado? Sadly, too long!!!

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Such photogenic people! So beautiful! I am glad you had a great holiday. Good job Jacob on the shaved ice gift! You probably saw this, but the Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site authors just wrote a new one called Steam Train Dream Train. Might be fun for the train enthusiast. Kids have so much power--to be able to imagine for hours like that. Amazing!