Thursday, September 5, 2013

These Boys

I have a few stories to share about these boys we are raising.  Man are they a lot of work.  And so stinking cute and funny.

I asked Isaac to help me plan the weeks menu.  Here were his dinner suggestions:   1.Cafe Rio, specifically on both Tuesday AND Friday.  He is clearly my son. 2. raspberry cake (I'm not sure he's had raspberry cake).  3. pretzel cake with cheese (I'm absolutely certain he's never had that before.  What is that!  I tried to figure out some way to make that happen but I was a little lacking in the creativity department that particular week.)  I should have him plan the menu more often.

Isaac has insisted on sitting on a regular chair for dinner.  Ever since potty training he is a "big boy" in many ways, or at least when it suits his fancy.  However, he keeps wiggling so much that he falls out of his chair a lot.  One night after falling out of his chair during dinner I was holding him and cuddling him and asked him what he thought he could do differently so he didn't end up getting hurt like that again.  I was hoping for a "keep my bum on the chair" sort of response.  I guess I shouldn't ask these types of questions with specific answers in mind because Isaac's response was a little different.  He stops crying and says "We could have someone sit under my chair and catch me."  Yes, I suppose that would prevent the getting hurt part of falling off your chair.  Then, just for fun, I asked him who we could have sit under his chair.  His response, "Ben."  Yep, never gonna happen.

I'm not sure I ever shared this story before.  We saw a homeless man on the corner holding a sign for money or food or something.  Isaac started asking some questions about him and I explained that he didn't have a home or money and wanted some money for some food.  Isaac's solution to the problem:  "He can go to Cafe Rio."  I chuckled.  And then I explained that we are very fortunate to have a daddy who works hard so we can have money and the luxury of going out to Cafe Rio occasionally.  I wasn't sure he understood this conversation.  Fast forward a month or more and this conversation took place while tucking Isaac into bed.

Me: Guess what?!  Daddy gets to stay home with us tomorrow because it's Labor Day.
Isaac: No!  Daddy needs to go to work to make money so we can go to Cafe Rio when we are hungry.

At least something is sticking.  Hope some of the other things I feel like I say a bazillion times a day are sinking in too.

And let's not forget cute Benjamin.  Seriously, he's so cute!
 

One of his most recent tricks is saying Amen at the end of every prayer or other appropriate situations (talks in church, at a baptism, etc)  You might not immediately recognize it as amen, we certainly didn't, until you hear it said in all the right situations.  

He is also really good at giving kisses.  He makes an "mmmm-mwha" sound after being kissed or when asked for a kiss.  Turns out, it kind of also sounds like his "amen."  Only very slight differences.
I really like his hugs too.  When you ask for hugs he will snuggle right into your chest.  I love that he is a bit of a cuddler.  Isaac wasn't that keen on it.  Ben's a snuggly one!

He also eats crackers and puffs and cheerios but doesn't want much to do with anything slimy cut up (pears, peaches, etc)  He kind of gags on that kind of stuff.  He doesn't even like the stage 3 chunkier baby foods.  He's very picky when it comes to texture.
 

Love his four little chompers.
 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Strupp Family said...

You really do have adorable children :) I love the Cafe Rio/Labor Day story. He sounds like quite a character. I just need to meet them in real life now! :)

Jason&Shannon said...

I agree with Kim's comment above. It is time I was reaquainted (or meeting) my cute nephews! I love all the stories from your active/smart cute and amazing boys!

Sarah and AJ said...

haha, must be able to get to Cafe Rio! (When I told Walter that something cost too much money, he suggested that I just go to the store and buy some more money.)

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Kids' language development--it just seems miraculous every time with every kid. And I love that parents can tell what they're communicating. So great!

I'm glad you asked the questions so you could get such great answers. And these are the kinds of conversations in the car that make all that driving around sometimes feel worth it.