Monday, October 21, 2013

First Snow

I once heard of a family that had a "first snow of the year" tradition and I liked the idea.  I've been looking for something that we can do and I think I may have hit upon it.  Jacob bought me this rosette iron a long time ago and it looks like a snowflake.  I've never had rosettes before and they are fun.  Basically a fried batter in whatever shape your iron is.  We sprinkled on some powdered sugar too.


The kid in the hood is Isaac.  :)  

Anytime I put him in something with a hood he insists on actually wearing the hood.  After a visit from John (or was it Diana?) he went around calling himself "hoodman" for a while.  And I would laugh every time.   I digress.
 

And while we fried and sugared, Ben explored in bookshelf cupboards that are usually off limits.

Aren't they pretty?  Too bad they weren't that tasty.  Fun though!

I put Ben in real shoes for the first time and I'm pretty sure he didn't know what to do with them.  He's not steady on his feet and certainly not in those shoes.  I was hoping he could stand in the snow, but not dice.  He landed on his rear pretty quickly.  And was mostly happy for a bit and then was wet and cold, I'm sure, and ready to go inside.

I love a baby all bundled up in the snow though!  Adorable.  

I also love a toddler/pre-schooler playing in the snow too.  I let Isaac stay out and play while Ben and I went in.  He had so much fun.

He shoveled snow.  Not sure he understand the point of shoveling, but he had fun moving the snow off the grass.


Then he discovered eating snow. 

I love the above picture.  The tromping through the snow is awesome!  I really love the first snow of the year.  I also love that it was mostly melted by the afternoon.  Just enough time to bundle up and snap some cute pictures and not have to shovel or drive in snow.  Perfect.

I also super love this hat and glove set that my mother-in-law sent.  It's one of her older patterns but it is so cute.  The hat is a bear with eyes and mouth and the cute ears and the mittens have claws on them.  Check it out, great pattern.

Great first snow day!

5 comments:

Jason&Shannon said...

Wow! you had snow. So fun. love all the cute pics of your boys enjoying the first snowfall (also one of my favorite times of the year).

MaryAnn said...

Wow - I can't believe you guys have already had snow. It's been 80 degrees here and lovely. Looks like you made the most of it and had some fun in it while it lasted.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

I love your boys' snow clothes! Ben looks so perfectly snug and sporty in his winter stuff. It is adorable. Rhys doesn't really walk well yet, but he is finally asking us to put his shoes on when we go out--not because he walk on them but because he sees everyone else wearing shoes. I'm sure in a couple of months he'll be a lot steadier on his feet--how they grow so fast!

Mary Ann said...

Snow already?! Looks like you all had a great time with it. I prefer to have the first snow in November. It makes me excited for Christmas. :)

BRANDON AND NICOLE said...

Snow!?! You always do fun projects with your cute boys-loved the snowflakes!