Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Decking the Halls

These boys were so excited!  Thrilled really.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


They had a ball with the gingerbread too.  But I must admit, it made me crazy.  Isaac kept eating the dough...like a ton of it...way more than was good for him.  I kept taking it away from him and telling him to stop and I was losing it.  I think if we do sugar cookies or gingerbread again I either have to be okay with chaos and a huge mess, or make the cookies all the night before, when they are in bed, and then just decorate together.  And in my frustration I said something like "We are never doing anything "fun" like this again."  I'm hoping the memory for the boys is still a fond one despite my frustrated outbursts.  Parenting fail!  Then I felt horrible while we were watching the Christmas devotional and Elder Rasband was talking about the mother who made gingerbread for her children out of squash just so her kids would have something in their stockings on Christmas day.  Ugh....Oh well.  The actual decorating of the gingerbread house the next day went much better.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

I'll share our Family Home Evening gingerbread house decorating later.

 
 

Yep, we have our tree on a table this year.  Ben would destroy this thing otherwise.  Actually, who am I kidding, Isaac is just as hands on this year.  I threatened to take them all down today.  Again, I struggle with the patience...ugh.  I hope we survive this Christmas season with positive, happy memories despite me and my inadequacies.  My poor family!

3 comments:

MaryAnn said...

No worries - I threaten to take me Christmas decorations down almost every day also. Kids just like to touch - even when they are 8. Maybe I should just relax and let them but I don't want things getting ruined. We have yet to make sugar cookies - it always drives me a little crazy as well because the kids make such a mess. But they love it. I'm sure your kids will have fond memories of all that you are doing with them :)

Jason&Shannon said...

They will have good memories. My kids do, though I am sure to have said similar things at times! Love your cute boys!

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

So many things to say no to when they're young! But we try to help them have a good experience and begin to learn how to do these things and you never know how it will go until you try. You're amazing for going for it, Sandy. Some traditions will definitely go better when they're older, and they'll let you know what's most important to them. For myself I have to decide not to do every tradition every year, but also to try for it when I feel it's important. Usually I don't find a balance till I've swung way to far one way and then I can come back to center. I'm glad our kids forgive and accept that we love them in spite of all the craziness that comes with caring for them!