Monday, December 9, 2013

Things Since Thanksgiving

Doesn't it feel like Thanksgiving was a month ago?  Just me?  Hmm...

Time is flying way too quickly.  The week after Thanksgiving is Birthday Week in our house.  At least that's what I called it this year.

But before we began Birthday madness, we had these cuties begging "take a picture of this Mommy."  I guess Isaac thought he was awesome to have balanced the digger on the back of the chair.  And Ben is always good for a photo.

 

The day before my birthday Ben caught whatever stomach bug is going around.  He was up several times in the night and early in the morning throwing up.  Poor babe.  Unfortunately, I had already promised Isaac he could go to story time at the library with his cousin.  So, Aunt Sarah was nice enough to take Isaac with them.  It still meant packing Ben into the car to drop Isaac at the library and then pick him up.  I felt bad about that.

And this is what Isaac wanted to wear to the library.  I made him put pants on.
 


We woke up to this snow on my birthday.  Fine be me.  I love some snow.

 


What I don't love...it has been WICKED cold.  Like single digit cold for days and days.  We finally hit 19 degrees today, almost a week later.  And, we also woke up to Jacob with the stomach bug.  So my birthday plans were a little bit foiled.  It was still a nice day, just different than expected and planned.  Isaac and I got to shovel the snow while Ben and Jacob stayed indoors.  

Isaac learned a little about making snow angels.  I was late in grabbing the camera so all you get are the angels and not the action shots.  After making the angel he began crawling around in the snow and having a general good time.  And then, he must have realized it was really cold.  He said to me "Mom, I have a good idea.  Let's go inside and take off these clothes."  I asked him if he was cold and he said whole heartedly, "yes!"


Sarah again was nice enough to have Isaac over to her house for a little bit so I got to have some free time while Ben napped.  I enjoyed the gifts I was given, some new plates to go with my set and some delicious chocolate.  My husband knows me well.  He also made me some lovely homemade ice cream.  Isaac kept wondering where the cake was and I had to keep explaining that I only wanted ice cream and it was my birthday so I got to decide.  Plus, we had Ben's birthday the next day and I knew we didn't need cake twice in a row.

Ben is 1!  Can you believe it?  I mostly still can't, aside from the fact he totally acts that old.  It just doesn't seem like a full year ago that we were bringing this little cutie home.



And now he is this...crazy.

He loved opening his gifts, even if he was helped out by his big brother more than he would have liked.
 
 

He opened one present from grandparents Carter and then had some breakfast.  He was lucky to have his Daddy home all day too.  Jacob was feeling a little better and wanted to try and make up for the bummer of a day the day before.

Right before his nap he got to open this gift from Jacob and I.  
 

It took him a little bit to remember he could rip the paper.
 

I made this quilt for Ben.  I really like the way it turned out.  I'll post better pictures of it someday.  I thought Ben would really like sleeping with a blanket because he is constantly diving onto whatever blankets he can find, but not so much.  He hadn't had anything in his crib and I think he is just used to that.  He actually kind of cries if I try and cuddle him in this blanket.  I guess we'll wait until he is a little older to put it back in his bed.

He got some time playing alone while Jacob and Isaac were running a few errands.  He found the bumble bee hat (there is lots of winter gear kicking around since it is SO cold) and was just too cute in it.
 

I think he tries to say hat.
 
 
 

This is how Ben folds his arms for prayers.  I think it's adorable.


And he certainly will cheese it up for the camera.


He was so excited about his cake.  He kept trying to climb on the table to get at it.

 
 


And then when he was actually able to eat it, he didn't love it.  He touched it a little and then cried a little because he does not like being sticky or dirty.  I had to clean him off and give him a fork.
 

Even then, he wouldn't eat it.  I've mentioned before, super picky about textures.  Doesn't like things that are crumbly.  Same with bread or muffins, just won't do it.  Which was really okay because he was still not totally feeling 100% and I'm sure cake wouldn't have done good things for his already struggling digestive system.

It was a nice birthday for our cute Ben.  I plan on doing a whole 1 year post later on when I get his official 1 year photos done.  I'll save my gushing about this boy for that post.  

3 comments:

Jason&Shannon said...

Sorry you had stomach bug junk for your birthday week. Glad you were able to have some fun and family time! Love those two funny boys! They are so cute. I'm not a big cake fan, so I concur with Ben about not thinking it such a great Birthday tradition, and side with you on just having ice cream. Especially when you have cake the next day!

Mary Ann said...

Happy Birthday Week to you and Ben! Ben's cake is awesome, and he is a cutie. I love Isaac's outfit. :)

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

You make such great cute things for your boys--love seeing them in the midst of all your creations--adorable shirts, birthday flags, quilts, cakes... And it never goes as we plan, right? But I'm glad you got the camera out and documented it all. I love how Isaac asked to go inside and get warm. Those are the sweet unique things about them we don't want to forget!