Monday, February 10, 2014

Isaac's First Trip to the Dentist

Last week, when it was like -7 outside, we bundled up bright and early to get Isaac to his very first dentist appointment.  I was too busy hustling out the door and totally forgot my camera.  I'm a little sad I don't have pictures of his first dentist visit.  Oh well.

Jacob and I had noticed some spots in one of his back molars that looked suspiciously cavity like.  I had scheduled an appointment for Isaac in July but decided to try and get him in a little sooner.  I called and they could get us in that Wednesday so we did it, despite the cold temperatures.

Isaac recently had a Bernstein Bears book out from the library about going to the dentist.  It was really good to show all the dental instruments and getting a check up.  We had also talked a lot about what happens so he was well prepared.  I thought he would do really well but sometimes when I think he'll be just fine he isn't...so you never know.  But, he was excellently behaved and cooperative.  The hygienist was really good.  She showed him all the instruments and let him touch them a little before using them to clean his teeth.  She also explained everything she was going to do before doing it and in a way that Isaac understood.  She was great.  He let her clean his teeth without problem and even did well with a fluoride treatment.  you never would have known this was his first visit.

Then the dentist came in.  He also had a good bedside manner and did well with Isaac.  He checked the spots we were concerned about and indeed Isaac does have a cavity.  Bummer.  So, we are headed back in a month to get that filled.  We'll see how well he does with that.  They told us to bring his favorite DVD.  I'm not even sure what that would be.  I guess we'll see how it goes.  Hopefully he'll be equally as cooperative for the filling as he was for the cleaning.

Isaac's favorite part of the visit was picking out a new toothbrush and a few prizes from their bin.  He's also been really good about brushing and flossing since our visit.  I hope that doesn't wear off too quickly.

2 comments:

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

Wow! Triumph for Isaac! Good dentists, too--I am impressed. Nice work all around.

Jason&Shannon said...

Too bad he has a cavity, but glad to hear he did all right with his first dentist's appointment!