Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Dreaming of Gold

I don't know what it is about the Olympics but I love 'em. I can't get enough of watching athletes compete for the gold. I'm not usually one to sit down and watch sports on TV, but when the Olympics roll around it's a totally different story.

I have really fond memories of watching the Olympics with my family as a kid. I remember watching with my family many of those famous Olympic moments, you know, the ones everyone talks about to this day. Kerrie Strug vaulting to win gold on the hurt ankle, Greg Louganis hitting his head while diving, Flo Jo and Jackie Joyner-Kersee competing in track, and don't even get me started on the Winter Olympics.

And, even though I'm not watching the games with my family this year, I am enjoying the Beijing competition just as much with my friends (especially on the big projector screen...amazing). I am particularly LOVING Micheal Phelps and his run for 8 medals. I want him to with those 8 golds so badly! If you missed the exciting Mens 4X100 relay you have to watch it! I was seriously yelling at the TV. And I wasn't alone. It was incredible.

And I also love the story of the Chinese women gymnasts who are faking their ages to compete. I wonder what makes winning gold so important for a country that so many people are willing to compromise their integrity? It fascinates me.

2 comments:

MaryAnn said...

I also love the olympics - maybe it is because we are from the same family. I have stayed up way to late every night this week watching and have been very grumpy as a result. The men's 4x100 relay race actually brought tears to my eyes - I know, I am a nerd.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Sandy, nice piece of literary achievment on this blog. I agree, and after reading your blog had to watch the 4x100 men's relay (I had fallen asleep that night) on the computer. Very cool. Last night I got sleepy around 10pm so I didn't see the end of women's gymnastics...way to go 1 and 2 for the USA!!!