Sunday, August 31, 2008

So Amusing

Capitalizing on the long weekend, Lori, Heather, Nathan, Jacob and I took the opportunity to go to Elitch Gardens (an amusement park in Denver) yesterday. Spending the day at the amusement park reminded me of several things:

1) I love a good roller coaster!
2) I hate waiting in lines.
and
3) I am getting old.

We arrived at the park at about 10:30 and anticipated spending the whole day making ourselves dizzy on all the rides. We were pretty lucky to have really good weather and pretty short lines for most of the day. The lines started to lengthen at about the same time I came to become more aware of my age. At about 4:30 I realized I was tired, really tired. I remember spending all day at Lagoon as a kid and never wanting to leave. We would ride until it was dark. I'm pretty sure those days are behind me. My feet started to ache, my body started to rebel at the thought of one more ride, and my patience wore thin. We lasted until about 6:30 or 7:00 and I feel pretty good about that!

I continued to abuse my body as we stopped for dinner at Cinnzetti's on the way home. This is an all you can eat Italian buffet...and I tested the capacity of my stomach. Turns out I can eat a lot. I ate way more than I should have and payed the price the whole way home as I was groaning with pain...so much food...so much goodness!

I did enjoy the day immensely and I'm so glad Lori had the idea. I'm also glad that Nathan had coupons so we only had to pay $20 for the day. And...I am glad everyone had a good time, even those who may not have loved the rides.

Here are a few pictures from the day.

A view of the park...I clearly didn't take this one. There are some pretty good rides!


Heather, Lori and Nathan on the Carousel

Jacob and I on the Carousel

Heather, Lori and Nathan on the Ferris Wheel

Jacob and I on the Farris Wheel

Nathan and I

Jacob and Nathan after the water rides

Nathan and Heather sharing Gelato-Ah...so precious!

5 comments:

Strupp Family said...

Wonderful, wonderful amusement parks. I don't think I would've lasted that long. I think a couple rides on the roller coaster would've filled my basket just fine. I do miss the good ole days of fun, fun, fun--can't get enough. You need to expound on your relationships, Sandy.

Laura Stringham said...

Oh, that looks like fun. Of course I didn't even last as long as my children at Disneyland, so I'd probably have left sooner. I commend you for your amusement park endurance.

Lynda/Mom said...

I didn't know Elitch was still operating! I have been there myself in another life. Glad you had aa good day. I just don't do rides any more.

Robinson Family said...

I'm glad you have fun people to hang out with. I love reading stories from your exciting life; and yes, it's exciting. Enjoy it! Jacob's email is Young.j.s.gerber@myldsmail.net
He'll be excited to hear from you.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

I hope it's okay if I say this, but after seeing the picture on the ferris wheel, the song "Love is in the Air" immediately began playing in my head.

It's a great song, yes? I know how much you enjoy it. Hope it's fitting.