Saturday, November 8, 2008

I Might Be A Sucker...


So, the story goes like this...

A couple weeks ago I joined the gym. It had been far overdue as I really let myself get back out of shape since Graduate school. With the gym came a free consultation with a personal trainer. In my 2 gym experiences prior to this I had always bypassed the free consultation but, for some reason, this time I decided to check it out. I went this morning and I was surprised by how much I was liking it. I had my measurements taken (not fun), skin fold fat test (really not fun), and then the trainer had me squat several times to see where my muscle weaknesses might be. The whole process was fascinating. Then she took me through several exercises. Turns out I have been lunging wrong (or at least less-effectively) for several years now. I really didn't do that many exercises but I can already feel the muscle soreness because they were executed properly and really targeted the muscles to be worked. We also talked a bit about nutrition. I know I don't have the best eating habits so she discussed accountability and tracking what I eat. The gym has an online program to enter everything you have eaten in the day and then the trainer can check out what you have consumed.

At the end of it all she asked if I was interested in buying an introductory package to meet with her for 5, one hour sessions. Here's where I really surprised myself, I SAID YES! What!?! Then to add to the shock of this whole experience, I scheduled two of those sessions at 7 am. I am not a morning workout person!

All this leads me to wonder what came over me this morning. Weird....

10 comments:

MaryAnn said...

Isn't it everyone's dream to have a personal trainer? I don't blame you for saying yes.

Lynda/Mom said...

Strangely, I envy you. I have been trying get myself into the training mode for several months since I went to the training for the equipment at the old folks gym. I just can't quite make the commitment. Good for you!! I'll be excited (and maybe motivated) to know how things work out. Aunt Lynda

Grammyzanne said...

It's that exercise-induced high that makes you do strange (and healthy) things.

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Oh no! I feel that $100 will not be mine. With Julian helping you, those pounds will melt away. Aghh...maybe you are paying a lot more than $100 for her anyway, but I am sure it will be well worth it. Way to Go!

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

I meant Jilian, not Julian.

Barbara said...

I echo the others--good for you. It takes courage to do those things, and I applaud you.

Laura Stringham said...

ha, 7:00 always comes earlier in reality than it does in your head. Have a good time with that.

Anonymous said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Strupp Family said...

Can I come? I really need a workout myself. It's embarrassing (sp?--now look at me, I'm asking about spelling when I correct blogs :)) when I can feel myself getting heavier and can't jump up on the countertop anymore. Besides I'm pregnant--one should just not gain 5 lbs in two weeks...

Anyway, you're awesome. I want a personal trainer...

I love how all my comments are all about me...

sarimose said...

good for you! congrats!