Tuesday, November 11, 2008

"I Wish My Life Could Feel Like a High School Musical."

Go ahead, mock me. I deserve it.

I am a sucker for "teen pop trash." I enjoy almost any cheesy, ridiculous movies set in high school. I sometimes even indulge in a little "pre-teen pop trash." Like this afternoon. I have the day off for Veterans Day and so I took the opportunity to go see a matinee movie all alone. I enjoy going to movies alone and usually feel no accompanying shame. Not today. I felt the shame but I persevered. I felt the shame so keenly I couldn't even purchase the ticket from an actual person. I opted for the machine. The shame comes not from going alone, but from going to see High School Musical 3 at the fine age of 28.

But guess what? I liked it. Not that the plot was anything remarkable, or some of the singing, or the acting for that matter. But man...I love a high school musical. I don't wish I were back in high school by any means, but I do wish that the biggest worries I had were about being asked to prom or passing high school finals. And maybe I also wish I were a little bit more like I was in high school. I remember feeling like anything was possible and I had all kinds of romantic ideas and ambitions.

Turns out I am pretty practical. I guess that's what age does for you. I grow a little more skeptical and cynical every year. Or is it just having more realistic expectations?

I guess I'm also feeling a little pensive about high school and how I've changed because I dug out "the list" that was created up in a cabin, in Island Park, with my 6 best friends. "The list" comprises all the characteristics and qualities I wanted my future spouse to have and how I saw my future going. Nothing is really how I imagined it would be when I was 17. Okay, maybe not nothing, but definitely most things. And actually, I am grateful. There is no way the 17 year old version of myself could have known what the 28 year old version would need. If I had to recreate that list (which I will never do) there would be very few things that remained the same. I am a different person than I was at 17 and I place greatest value on some very different things.

It's also interesting how much I am the same. I'm still sarcastic (despite my numerous efforts to change), I'm still really trying to get comfortable in who I am and who I want to be (though I have become much more self-confident than 17 year old Sandy), and I'm still probably 12 at heart.

I guess that's why High School Musical 3 and other such "teen pop trash" speaks to me.

5 comments:

MaryAnn said...

High School Musical 3?? I can get behind Bring It On, but not High School Muscial 3. Interesting thoughts on high school and the person you were in high school.

Amanda, Curtis, Ellis, Hugh, Rhys, Graham, Sylvia said...

I think I still have my list, too. It may not be the same list I'd make today, but actually I think it was a pretty good thing to do back then. Some things were just superficial and fun, but other things we talked about that night were pretty important. There is something to be said for preserving the faith of a 17-year-old, even as the virtues of wisdom and practicality take their place in us.

A musical is a musical. If it rocks you, it rocks you at any age. More power to you!

Dennis Carter said...

Speaking of teen pop, I took a preview listen to Taylor Swift's new cd at Amazon today. Very appealing, but not for me. You just might like it though!

Mo said...

It's pretty impressive that High School Musical led you to such a deep introspective of your 17 year old self versus your 28 year old self. I don't know if any movie has made me do that, let alone a teen pop trash movie.

Anonymous said...

Island park is one of my favorite memories