Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Taught By My Mother


My mom would be proud, I think.

I made my very first batch of peanut brittle tonight and I must say it looks and smells delicious. I just finished so I haven't really sampled it, unless you count the "peanut brittle spoon" (which really brings back some memories), thus I'm not totally sure how it ultimately tastes. But I am confident it will be as good as it appears to be.

I realize I am indebted to my mother for passing on her tricks of the trade. A week ago I was discussing my plans to make peanut brittle with Jacob and he asked if I had a candy thermometer. I laughed, well it was more of a chuckle really, and then proceeded to explain that I didn't need one. I told my mother this story as I thought she would find it amusing. She responded that I didn't need the thermometer, not because of my own skills necessarily, but because of her years and years of ruined peanut brittle batches and experience in perfecting the art of peanut brittle making. And it is true. I am grateful my mom took the time to let us help her so I can enjoy passing this tradition on to others. Because really, how many people could make a perfect batch of peanut brittle on their first attempt?

Well, at least I think it's perfect. The spoon was delicious.

PS...the photo is one I found online. I'm too lazy to take a picture of my own success. But it does look remarkably similar to my own batch.

6 comments:

Grammyzanne said...

Congratulations Sandy. That is an accomplishment worth celebrating.

Harmony said...

That sounds sooo yummy! I would drive out there just to eat some...if I wasn't allergic! Bravo!

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

Come on, Sandy, where is the actual picture? That is a bit deceiving to post a picture of someone else's peanut brittle and not tell us till the end that it wasn't yours. I want pictures of your batch, quit being lazy! Oh and by the way, congrats on the Peanut Brittle. I am a little surprised to learn that this is your first batch.

D. said...

I agree! What's with the picture? And why, when I type a comment on your blog, do all the words get underlined like I have no idea how to spell anything. Is this some kind of prank???

Barbara said...

Following in Mom's footsteps is very satisfying, to both you and your Mom, and also very noble. Congratulations.

Lynda/Mom said...

OK, Sandy. I don't really care a lot, but to title your entry "The Real Deal" then post stock photos was misleading. I'm so proud of you for making the peanut brittle, and for your mom persisting in perfecting the recipe and teaching you how. Traditions are important. Keep up the good work!