Thursday, April 2, 2009

Positive and Negative Consequences


I am sad to report that I will no longer be giving my business to the local ice cream parlor called Walrus.


Yesterday afternoon I got an ice cream craving and convinced a couple of co-workers that we should walk a bit down the street to Walrus Ice Cream shop. We do this from time to time. Enough that the owner of the store knows us. Which also means that I think he has gotten used to my need to sample before committing to one flavor.


Now, I have gotten the impression before that he is a little put out when I ask to sample two or three flavors before buying, but yesterday he was down right rude.


The story goes like this...though it is extremely hard to convey the attitude and rudeness that accompanied these words. Trust me, it was no good.


I walk in and ask to sample the german chocolate cake flavor. He gives me that sample. He then gives a co-worker a sample of the same ice cream. I then ask if I can sample the chocolate white chocolate chip ice cream. The guy looks at me and says..."It's just chocolate ice cream. I could give you a sample of the chocolate ice cream and it would be the same." Bare in mind this was said FULL of attitude. So I respond rather awkwardly "never mind then?" He then proceeds to explain again it's just chocolate ice cream with white chocolate chips in it. I again say okay and never mind, all the while feeling a little more stupid. He then turns to fill my coworkers order and I stand there feeling 3 feet tall.

I turned to my other coworker and ask if it was just me or if that was really poor customer service. She assured me he was very rude. As we are discussing the rudeness I decide I am no longer in the mood for ice cream and step away from the counter.


He fills the last order of my co-worker's and as we are about to leave he tries to hand me a sample of the ice cream I had previously asked for. I told him I was fine but he forced it on me. I ate it and walked out of the shop never to return again.


Now, I do not consider myself to be a stupid person. I knew when I was asking for the second sample what flavor of ice cream I would be tasting. I wanted to know how the white chocolate chips were in the chocolate ice cream. I have very specific guidelines about my ice cream and needed to know if that flavor combination and texture combo would meet those criteria. Do not make me feel stupid!


So game over to you Walrus.


On the plus side, I will save many a calorie by forgoing my Walrus ice cream addiction. :)

10 comments:

Shae, Jay, and chillin' said...

You would think you lived in the NorthEast with that kind of customer service. You are right to be mad and not go back there. It would be even better to get your coworkers not to go back either. Crazy. To answer your question, I have a subscription thanks to Jeremiah's school fund raiser.

Barbara said...

I agree, carry out the boycott!! I'm sure you can find another ice cream place that will treat you better.

Strupp Family said...

Sandy, I get mad just thinking about it. You DEFINITELY should NOT have felt 3 feet tall! Of course the chocolate ice cream/white chocolate chip flavor would taste different than chocolate ice cream!! He, of all people, should know this--working in an ice cream shop. UGH. I'm livid. I need to know his name and I am writing a letter! By the way DITTO DITTO DITTO on the northeast comment by shannon (I didn't know she had a blog!) Bunch of rudeness there. So refreshing to move HERE where people are NICE again! (or at least most of them)

PS I replied to your comment on my blog, but I replied from my email? I don't know if you got it. Here's what it said: Mr. Swallow would be so disappointed.

Grammyzanne said...

Hope you plan to write a letter explaining your boycott. Rude is rude. I think an apology is in order.

Aaron said...

It's only through civil disobedience that real change occurs. Make your boycott widespread! Definitely write a letter.

MaryAnn said...

Yeah - that was pretty rude!

D. said...

I would have called him out right then and there, but then again I'm not ashamed to make a scene when it is justified. He's the owner, you say??? For sure write a letter to point out his poor customer service and your boycott!!!

The Davies Family said...

Totally rude and uncalled for! I think all of you should have walked out right then and there and told him how you felt..maybe shutting down his business in this tough economy would teach him a few manners?
Totally rude!

Laura Stringham said...

How did I miss this post?

I would TOTALLY boycott, but I'd probably start to have withdrawals from the afternoon icecream and bribe someone into bringing some back for me.

John L. Carter said...

Yeah, that's lame. You should have said,"If it tastes the same as the chocolate then why did you put the white chocolate chips in there?" then when he wanted you to take the sample you should have said, "no thanks, I'm sure it just tastes like the chocolate."