Monday, July 23, 2012

A Good Day

I wanted to take a minute and remember the good day I had today.  It was certainly nothing spectacular as far as events go.  Pretty run of the mill actually.  But for some reason it just felt good.  I'm pretty sure it was because of my attitude.  And I'm not sure what exactly caused the shift but for some reason I just had a little more patience with Isaac and maybe more energy too.  Whatever it was, it was good.

I found myself more interested in why Isaac was doing what he was doing instead of just noticing what he was doing and the mess that usually follows his exploration.  It didn't matter as much when he was playing with his lunch because I realized he was probably experiencing bread crumbling for one of the first times. And I got to teach him a new word, "crumble."  And I was more patient in letting him play with the crayons when he wanted and with less supervision.  And guess what, nothing was damaged.  And he was able to trace his own hand over and over again.  I caught him singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" while he was working on buckling and unbuckling his high chair.  I didn't even know he knew that song.  Certainly didn't know he knew it well enough to sing on his own.  He talks so much and says the funniest things.  I wish I could remember everything that makes me smile and laugh right out loud.  "I carry you" when he wants to be picked up...love that.  And he's so polite, "bless you," "excuse me," "pleases" and "thank yous" abound. And I love when he says "baby brother."  Oh...and how can I forget his little prayers.  The things he prays for are becoming a little more discernible and frequently include "church," "nursery," and "toys."  And he's pretty good in beginning and ending prays in the appropriate way "Heavenly Father," and "name of Jesus Christ, Amen."  He LOVES Family Home Evening too.  The singing and the lessons from the nursery manual.  But, he has to be in charge of holding the pictures.

He's learning so much.  And he's growing so fast.  And I guess I'm just grateful for a day where I was able to appreciate him a little more than usual.

Hopefully I'll have many more of these days.  Because he's the cutest and best little boy in the world.  For real.  


2 comments:

Barbara said...

That does sound like a really good day :) May you have many more.

Jason&Shannon said...

I need a day like that! I was good for the week of preparing a talk about "Eternal Perspective", but now have back what seem to be my constant companions..grumpy and impatience!