Saturday, September 27, 2008

Smothicate!

I figured it was probably time to post about Diana and Casey's trip out to Fort Collins and Denver and the subsequent adventures.

Diana and Casey flew in on Tuesday night and Jacob and I drove to the airport to pick them up. I took the toll road for the first time and found it to be a much more efficient route, even with the slight, accidental detour... And it was a good time chatting it up with Jacob on the way down. Then it was a bit of an adventure actually finding Diana and Casey...and perhaps even more tricky relocating Jacob. But we all made it safely back to Fort Collins and even learned some new vocabulary. "Smothicate" is the word of the day and should be used as an expletive. Really comes in handy!



The next day was the day of the concert. Diana and Casey brought lunch to me and we enjoyed a Big City burrito. Well, some of us enjoyed a Big City burrito, others may have suffered through it. And I was lucky enough to have my two afternoon appointments cancel so I was able to do a little shopping in Old Towne with D and Casey and then we enjoyed some Walrus Ice Cream before heading to Denver for the concert. The concert was fantastic! And it got me thinking about all the concerts I've been to. So I'm going to take a little detour from this narrative and list all the bands I've seen live...at least all the ones I can remember!



Counting Crows (4 times now)
Sugar Ray
Wallflowers
Matchbox 20
Harry Connick Jr (3 times)
Maroon 5 (3 times)
Indigo Girls (2 times)
John Mayer
Beach Boys
Dave Matthews Band
Kenny Loggins
Augustana
Sawyer Brown
Nickel Creek (2 times)
Toby Keith
Simon and Garfunkel (2 times)
Martina McBride
Petula Clark
Mandy Moore
Tori Amos
Lonestar
Good Charlotte
Sum 41
Xavier Rudd
Alison Krauss (thanks for reminding me D, and I'm choosing not to include Fru Fru.)

Thanks for indulging me in that. I'm pretty sure I have forgotten a few but that's the best I can do for now. If any of you have been to concerts with me and can remember more, feel free to add to my list!


So the concert was good and the venue was nice. Diana had the unfortunate experience of sitting directly behind a giant but she was good about it. Augustana were really good and come highly recommended by me. Maroon 5 put on a fun show and were a good time to sing along with. I think my favorite part of their set was when they started singing Chris Isaac's "Wicked Games" as an intro to my new favorite song of theirs "I Won't Go Home Without You." I'm pretty sure many of the teeny boppers that were there didn't know what song that was and were probably wondering where that was on the Maroon 5 album. Counting Crows were decent. I'm pretty sure I've seen them enough times to say that they can either be really good or really not great. I've had two experiences of goodness (the best ever being the Big Freebie!) and two experiences of not greatness. This was a good one! I was pleased. I appreciate when musicians aren't so stoned you can't even recognize their music any more. All in all a good show and a very entertaining evening. Oh yeah! I was also pleased to see the same great beer salesman from the Rockies game I went to awhile back. He was less fun because he couldn't be yelling over the music. Too bad!




The next day we went to Denver again to visit the candy factory and down town. I had a good experience at Hammond's where I got 4 candy canes for the price of 2 because I kept breaking mine. Not to mention knocking over the baskets...it was a difficult moment for me. Good thing I can laugh at myself.


I am glad I don't have to drive to Denver again soon. Three days in a row was about all I can take! But I'm glad I got to spend time with these fun gals. Thanks for the visit Casey and D!

7 comments:

Lynda/Mom said...

I'm impressed with your posting endurance, Sandy. Great job and fun to read! Sounds like you had a great time. It has been years and years since I was in Denver, but you must have found some good places to visit. Nice to hear from you. Aunt Lynda

Strupp Family said...

Holy cow--I think the extent of my concert's are:

Peter, Paul, and Mary
Manheim Steamrollers (Fresh Air)
Kingston Trio

(Those last three were courtesy of Ed--when I was young--believe me, not by choice)

Dwight Yokum
Toto
--Both of those at State Fairs. Apparently I need to frequent more concerts.

Sounds like fun though!

D. said...

You totally forgot Allison Krauss, and Fru Fru! How could you?!? Great post, now I don't have to write about my trip. I'll just send them over to your blog. You did forget the part after you dropped us off at the airport. You know, when Jacob said you were looking all "makey-outy." Silly girl!

Mary Ann said...

Makey outey? Sounds fun! ;)

jacob said...

Wait, what did I say again?

Sandy Brunson said...

to clarify...Jacob NEVER said I looked Makey-outy. That was D and Casey. Though I must admit...I might have looked Makey-Outy...probably I just looked tired though.

D. said...

Hold up! I thought you said Jacob said that!?! Ok, you're right I knew he didn't say it. But I'm almost certain he thought it! Hearts to Jacob!